Review of Damaged Interior

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Review of Damaged Interior

Post by Jagiine »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Damaged Interior" by m. j. baker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Many of us struggle not only with mental health issues but also with what to do with our war stories and battle scars once we've made it out of the trenches. Author m. j. baker (author’s capitalization) fought her way through major trials and eventually triumphed through the power of poetry, publishing the results as Damaged Interior.

Baker and her editor organized the poetry into the four seasons (starting with summer) to represent reveling, falling, living in a low place, and reemerging. The works generally read as glimpses into the author's mind at various moments rather than trying to distill the meaning of life into a grand stanza. Also, they were structured to immediately immerse the reader in each piece and conclude with a reflection.

Though I can speak about the structure of the individual poems, this is not a collection to just read random bits of; there’s a progression. The seasonal breakdown seemed almost inadequate when the tone drastically changed in Autumn. Later, I realized its aptness when I considered how miserable I become as the heat dissipates and the threat of winter looms in my face during fall and how resigned I am to hopelessness when I’m in the dead of winter with no hope of warmth in my foreseeable future. And Baker didn’t simply make me think about the seasons; she returned me to the depth of my emotions from many past experiences.

While reading, I was able to settle into the emotion the poet was focusing on because she kept her writing fairly free from details (e.g. names, specific actions), so I was never drawn to apply my own biases. While I loved that effect, I still occasionally found myself growing curious about what was happening between the glances. I wanted to know whether certain compositions spoke of the same people and situations or separate ones. Still, some of the writing was extremely clear, and those events were probably the only ones that I really needed to know. Then, the amount of tragedy packed into just a few autumnal pages, representing just a few years of the author's life, felt so heavy that it made Winter intimidating to move toward.

Regarding poetic devices, I thought this collection was rather unique. The first poem had an emotional cadence but no classical rhythm or rhyme. I initially found it odd, but it expanded my expectations without going too far. Therefore, it was actually a great way to start things. By the second poem, I started to see that the artist had a wide scope of ability in terms of style. Baker also demonstrated a creative utilization of space. She didn't go overboard, trying to paint words across the pages, but she used spacing as onomatopoeia a few times throughout the book. In general, regardless of how m. j. put the actual pieces together, the poems were full of meaning and feeling. There were times I'd read a selection less than 10 lines long and then just stare, thinking, "Dang. That [expletive]’s profound."

In case it’s not obvious, I must declare how much I loved this collection. I thought it would take a long time to read because it’s poetry, or at least because it deals with heavy topics, but it was more captivating than some novels! There were merely two editorial mishaps, and only one of them was distracting. The one thing I actually disliked was that there were no page numbers, so discussing specific pieces with the friends I plan on recommending the book to will be a bit cumbersome. Considering the copious amount of praise and almost negligible criticism I have for this digest, I am rating Damaged Interior 4 out of 4 stars.

Though I am in love with the publication, I am the second to admit that it is not suitable for all audiences (Baker is the first). Summer may be easily consumed by most parties, but things quickly get dark in Autumn. Those who are sensitive to heavy topics—including but not limited to suicide, eating disorders, and death—should consider utilizing the mental health resources on the fifth page or avoiding the book altogether. However, Baker’s confidence in Spring is invigorating, so those who are struggling with mental, emotional, neurological, or physical differences and want to read about another person making it through similar hardship could benefit from this work. The poems may also be enjoyed by those who love rocky romance stories. There are a lot of prosaic features in Damaged Interior, and I believe they will make the poetry accessible to readers who would not typically partake of lyrical works.
Broken does not mean worthless
- Damaged Interior

Damaged Interior
View: on Bookshelves
Aarti Jha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarti-jha.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aarti Jha »

The content seems really relatable and I genuinely want to read this. Thank you so much for your review!
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

It seems like the book talks about various struggles of life that may end up driving some people to suffer from mental illnesses. This is a very relatable topic and I might enjoy reading this book. Thank you for the insight.
Reema Aydieh
Currently Reading: Everyone in My Family Has Killed Someone
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reema-aydieh.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Reema Aydieh »

Thank you for this review. The name alone is intriguing and your review makes it more.
“Just keep swimming.”
Linda S 1
Favorite Book: House of Hollow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linda-s-1.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by Linda S 1 »

Thank you for the amazing review. This book sounds relatable and relevant. As a person who loves reading poetry, I think this would be a perfect book for me.
Uzo_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzo-reviews.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by Uzo_Reviews »

Your review was well done and detailed. I hope the book lives up to its hype. Thank you.
Jagiine

Post by Jagiine »

Aarti Jha wrote: 01 Aug 2021, 12:10 The content seems really relatable and I genuinely want to read this. Thank you so much for your review!
I found it very relatable and well written. I hope that you manage to get a copy and enjoy it! Thanks for reading and commenting :tiphat:
Jagiine

Post by Jagiine »

Tarie07 wrote: 01 Aug 2021, 12:40 It seems like the book talks about various struggles of life that may end up driving some people to suffer from mental illnesses. This is a very relatable topic and I might enjoy reading this book. Thank you for the insight.
Yes, although the learning to cope with and overcome poor mental health was more so another one of the struggles rather than something caused by other struggles. Either way, it's brilliantly written, and I genuinely hope you get to read it. Thank you for joining the conversation!
Jagiine

Post by Jagiine »

Reema Aydieh wrote: 01 Aug 2021, 14:10 Thank you for this review. The name alone is intriguing and your review makes it more.
The title definitely called out to me when I first saw it! I appreciate your stopping by.
Jagiine

Post by Jagiine »

Linda S 1 wrote: 01 Aug 2021, 21:54 Thank you for the amazing review. This book sounds relatable and relevant. As a person who loves reading poetry, I think this would be a perfect book for me.
That's great! I hope you find the book as powerful as I did. Thank you for your kind words :tiphat:
Jagiine

Post by Jagiine »

Uzo_Reviews wrote: 01 Aug 2021, 22:42 Your review was well done and detailed. I hope the book lives up to its hype. Thank you.
I hope it does as well; it's been a while since I gave out a 4-star rating, so it'd be a pity if I were the only one to like the book. Thanks for stopping by.
Soumya Chauhan
Currently Reading: The Haunting Of RookeryNook Manor
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soumya-chauhan.html
Latest Review: Portals by Jon Zimmer

Post by Soumya Chauhan »

The title of the book speaks for itself but the review has made the story crystal clear.Thank you for such a vivid description, I sure want to read it myself.
Latest Review: Portals by Jon Zimmer
Snigdha Pandey
Favorite Author: David Levithan
Favorite Book: Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1)
Currently Reading: One last stop
Bookshelf Size: 316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snigdha-pandey.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 5798

Post by Snigdha Pandey »

It sounds like a really good book. I love poetry, and am a fan of authors like Lang Leav and Amanda Lovelace. So I think I'll enjoy this book.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

It looks like the book touches on some sensitive and profound themes of life. I can see from your review how much you enjoyed this collection. I'd love to check it out sometime. Thank you for writing such a lovely review!
Jagiine

Post by Jagiine »

Soumya Chauhan wrote: 03 Aug 2021, 01:13 The title of the book speaks for itself but the review has made the story crystal clear.Thank you for such a vivid description, I sure want to read it myself.
I'm happy I could help crystallize things for you. I hope you manage to get your hands on a copy and enjoy the collection :techie-studyingbrown:

Thanks for dropping a line!
Last edited by Jagiine on 03 Aug 2021, 14:08, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”