Review of Tears of Me

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Review of Tears of Me

Post by AvidBibliophile »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tears of Me" by LaToya Martin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tears of Me by LaToya Martin is a book of Christian poetry that meaningfully explores several themes: love, loss, grief, abuse, neglect, compassion, suffering, and forgiveness. Martin states, “Each poem depicts a tear that has been shed, be it of sadness, anger, or happiness. It resembles parts of life that many people experience and can relate to.” Throughout the collection of poems, she uses succinct groups of words to process her emotions. She includes mentions of anonymous suitors, car accidents, beloved husbands, mirrors, military service members, old trees, and forsaken outcasts. Throughout this collection of introspective ponderings, she seems to find a cathartic release.

Every poem begins and ends with a digital or watercolor depiction, and I very much enjoyed encountering several pages of calming botanical illustrations. They give the reader a resting place of sorts, a resting place that acts as an emotional palate cleanser between passages. Forty individual poems appear throughout this book, and they are all concise and to the point. I think their brevity gives them a sense of unshakable conviction.

I will say that there are several included mentions of God, heaven, angels, Jesus, prayers, sin, and the Holy Bible, but they’re all presented from a universally non-denominational standpoint. There is no profanity present in this book, nor are there any described scenes of intimacy, but much of the subject material is appropriate for mature audiences only. Due to the included mentions of suicide, sexual abuse, disloyalty, emotional abuse, marital affairs, physical abuse, and prostitution, I would only recommend this book to readers over 18 years of age. It might be appropriate for younger readers with adult supervision, but that decision would have to be made subjectively on a case-by-case basis.

Overcoming depression is never easy, but this author uses mentions of weed sprouts and lonely, abandoned, withered, tired, old trees as metaphors for how we feel throughout various stages of life. I also enjoyed coming across nostalgic and sentimental mentions of homemade biscuits and crowing roosters. I did encounter at least ten grammatical and typographical errors while reading, but that was the only aspect of this book that I disliked. A quick revision would address all of the minor mistakes, giving this title an even better chance for success.

Due to the errors, I must award this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. Tears of Me might be a good fit for anyone battling feelings of low self-esteem, shame, or hopelessness. This book shows how self-reflection through creative expression can act as an effective coping mechanism. It is Martin’s hope that readers will be able to find comfort and healing through the transformative power of her words.

Tears of Me
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
RetiredOBNurse
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RetiredOBNurse »

Sounds like we all might benefit from writing a book of poems or short stories about our own “tears of me” even if no one reads it but ourselves. I agree in regards to the possibility of a cathartic release of different emotions most of us likely struggle with as well. Thank you for a well written informative review.
AvidBibliophile

RetiredOBNurse wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 12:00 Sounds like we all might benefit from writing a book of poems or short stories about our own “tears of me” even if no one reads it but ourselves. I agree in regards to the possibility of a cathartic release of different emotions most of us likely struggle with as well. Thank you for a well written informative review.
This author definitely explored many meaningful topics in a very vulnerable way, a way that I both applaud and admire. It’s not easy to open up about some of our harder life experiences, the ones that leave us a little more sad and broken, but healing is possible with time. Thank you for commenting!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

It seems like a book that can help someone when he or she is at a low point. Loved reading your insightful review!
AvidBibliophile

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 14:32 It seems like a book that can help someone when he or she is at a low point. Loved reading your insightful review!
Most definitely! That’s a spot-on assessment of what this book can reassuringly provide. Thanks for the feedback!
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I like poetry as it is often expressed through raw emotions. I'm sure that these poems can bring about serious introspection and healing for some people suffering from low self-esteem and depression.

Thank you for another excellent review.
:tiphat:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

I don't read poetry all that often, but this sounds like a wonderful collection. I love that the book also contains art, as I'm sure looking at the art is a welcome break from the heavy content. Thanks for the review!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

This book is full of emotions, the author definitely did a good job here! I love your review!
AvidBibliophile

Josephe-Anne wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 21:12 I like poetry as it is often expressed through raw emotions. I'm sure that these poems can bring about serious introspection and healing for some people suffering from low self-esteem and depression.

Thank you for another excellent review.
:tiphat:
I agree with you in every way, and thank you for your kind words. 💙 So many of us have experienced extreme lows and times of sadness, and books like these help us vulnerably explore difficult topics together.
AvidBibliophile

maggi3 wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 00:23 I don't read poetry all that often, but this sounds like a wonderful collection. I love that the book also contains art, as I'm sure looking at the art is a welcome break from the heavy content. Thanks for the review!
The scattered watercolor illustrations and gentle depictions of serene themes truly did help all of the heavier words find a soft place to rest. I applaud authors who are able to share themselves in such authentically poetic ways, so this collection of thoughts definitely made an impact.
AvidBibliophile

TheMazeRunner wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 05:26 This book is full of emotions, the author definitely did a good job here! I love your review!
This collection of honestly raw and meaningfully representational poetry is definitely full of heavy emotions. Thank you for recognizing that!
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I love poetry, I hope I'll also enjoy this one since its by a Christian. Is there anything nicer than being whisked into a botanical garden by calming botanical illustrations every once in a while? Awesome review!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
IamJc_Bembo12
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjc-bembo12.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by IamJc_Bembo12 »

A self-help book that is worth reading. I should give this one a try. Thanks for your honest review!
AvidBibliophile

Nqobile771 wrote: 27 Jul 2021, 03:11 I love poetry, I hope I'll also enjoy this one since its by a Christian. Is there anything nicer than being whisked into a botanical garden by calming botanical illustrations every once in a while? Awesome review!
You make some excellent points and observations! She truly did a lovely job portraying her emotions and poetic thoughts through both words and illustrations. I really appreciate your feedback! Thank you 🌿
AvidBibliophile

IamJc_Bembo12 wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 00:49 A self-help book that is worth reading. I should give this one a try. Thanks for your honest review!
Kind of you to say so! I hope many readers get the chance to experience this one. 🌟

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”