Review of Poetic Potpourri

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Caroline Anne Richmond
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Review of Poetic Potpourri

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Poetic Potpourri" by Marc Mullo.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Poetic Potpourri is a book of poems written by Marc Mullo. It is a relatively short book containing poetry of different themes accompanied by photographs.

The author states in his dedication that his life has included a continuing battle with depression, and his poems are how he can express his true feelings and thoughts. The book contains a collection of twenty-two poems, and they vary in their subjects. From the author’s writing, it is clear that his family originally came from a country in the Netherlands before migrating to Canada. A few of his poems discuss his love of Canada and its winter sports and how proud he felt when Whistler held the Winter Olympics

The author reflects on serious issues such as terrorism, global warming, and personal heroes to him. Additionally, there are more light-hearted poems about his favourite music artist and his love of saunas. As a reader, you learn about the author’s personality, hobbies, and home in this collection.

I expected the poetry to be serious after reading the dedication about the author’s struggles. I thought the poetry would express his emotions and feelings and give an insight into his day to day life dealing with a mental illness. I was surprised to find that the poems were much more light-hearted and covered many parts of his life, including his love of winter sports, his heroes, and the things he enjoys doing in his spare time. Some of the more earnest poems didn’t relate to depression, with only two disclosing his emotions and how he sees himself. “Me” is the most revealing poem and describes who he is, his insecurities, and how he works hard to work on these issues. This poem was my favourite as I appreciated the honest introspection, and I believe this type of work can be inspirational.

I found some of the poems to be short and thought they could be more developed. Also, I felt some of the poems lacked the maturity that others had. The more in-depth poetry resonated with me, whereas some of the shorter ones gave little impact. All of the poems have potential, but I felt some could use a little more development.

I enjoyed the photographs included throughout the book. They encompass the theme of a poem. They also made the book more visually appealing, making it a great addition to a coffee table or a waiting room, where the readers can leisurely peruse the book.

The book is exceptionally edited, as I didn’t find any spelling or grammar mistakes. I enjoyed the more thought-provoking poems, and the photographs made it an attractive book. Some were a little short and not as inspiring, so I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. This book is a quick, easy read, suitable for adults and young adults who enjoy poetry about different subjects.

Poetic Potpourri
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Edria Dayyinah
Favorite Book: We Were Liars
Currently Reading: Emma
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edria-dayyinah.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Edria Dayyinah »

I feel like this book will be great for people who don’t like stuff that can be triggering, hence all the light-heartedness. Great review you hv hear! very detailed
Aarti Jha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarti-jha.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aarti Jha »

Some deep poems and some light ones would work for me. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this.
Khushboo Barwar
Favorite Book: Inertia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khushboo-barwar.html
Latest Review: The Price of Dreams by Jerry A. Greenberg
Reading Device: B07XVJZPKZ

Post by Khushboo Barwar »

I like how all the poems are light hearted but then there's 'me', a self introspection, a poem about his struggles and insecurities. Definitely looking forward to it. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”