Review of Panchromatic Obscurity

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Review of Panchromatic Obscurity

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Panchromatic Obscurity" by RichardF.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Panchromatic Obscurity is a collection of twenty-seven poems by Richard Foley. The first word in the title is a photographic term that refers to film sensitive to the light of all the colors in the visible spectrum. Paired with the second word, the title seems to hint at some oxymoronic tension between what is visible and what remains hidden from sight. Is the author giving us a sense of what we can expect to find in this collection?

My advice to anyone picking up this book is to find a dictionary app on your computer and keep it open while you read. Richard Foley is a writer who likes unusual words; you’ll encounter words like thanatological, vilipends, saponaceous, umbrageous, and caliginous in this work. Aside from the obscure language, the poet makes extensive use of imagery and metaphors that can make his meaning hard to discern. He signs off the introductory note and the acknowledgment with the epithet ‘The Distorted Soul.’ This view of himself manifests in his poetry in the themes of alienation, dislocation, and a feeling of being unfree.

What I enjoyed most about this collection was the writer’s obvious love of language and wordplay. He is a fan of alliteration, for example, as these lines from “Ambivalent Eclipse” show: ‘Perfidy peevishly pierces, / Probity promotes prodigies.’ He is also someone who enjoys a good pun; titles such as “Malice in Wonderland” and “The Lizard of Awes” testify to that fact. The poems I enjoyed most were those that I found more accessible, more panchromatic than obscure. “Frozen Beach” is one of those. Here, the poet is open about his sense of alienation: ‘Even though they are all wearing swimsuits, / I’m still gathering around the notion that, / I am the sole soul who is wandering in a coat…’ He comes back to this theme of being alone in “Beyond The Mayhem”: “Snow must be warmer than me, / Nobody can thaw my forlornness, / I can’t even buy a shadow.” I also liked the prose poem “Stagnant Weltschmerz”, in which he uses a prison cell or box as a metaphor for life itself. It is not the walls that imprison the poem’s narrator, but rather the negative energy of the people who ‘invented a false world that conquers everybody else before they even get started!’ This sense that the world is peopled with frauds and phonies is one he explores further in “Imposters Galore.”

I was less keen on some of the more obscure poems. The writer needs to find a way of combining his obvious fascination with language with the awareness that, ultimately, words are for communication. If others don’t understand the language you are using, you aren’t getting your message across. At one level, he is already aware of this. He writes in “Irony of Epigram”: ‘What am I writing about?! If you don’t know then I am finished!’ Foley has published two additional books after this one; I would be interested in reading these to see how his writing style has developed.

I am giving this book three out of four stars, deducting one star for the obscurity factor. It is an exceptionally well-edited collection as I didn’t find a single error. I also didn’t find anything in the language or themes that would make this book unsuitable for younger readers. This is one for people who enjoy poetry that is challenging, both in its use of language and in its themes.

Panchromatic Obscurity
View: on Bookshelves
Mercy119
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Mercy119 »

This seems like a fascinating collection. Although looking up the difficult words in the dictionary feels like a chore, It would be an eye-opening experience.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Those words–I have a hard time pronouncing them. Thanks for the great review! I really appreciate your efforts in reading the book and searching the meanings of the words. I'll be skipping it.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Your explanation of the title made want to try this book. I love poetry especially when they have a double meaning. They feel like a rhyming puzzle. Thanks for the review!
Khushboo Barwar
Favorite Book: Inertia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khushboo-barwar.html
Latest Review: The Price of Dreams by Jerry A. Greenberg
Reading Device: B07XVJZPKZ

Post by Khushboo Barwar »

As much as I love wordplay, I don’t think the use of obscure words will contribute to the pleasure of reading poetry. Thanks you so much for the review. It was very helpful.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”