Review of In the Aftermath- 9/11 Through a Volunteer's Eyes

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Review of In the Aftermath- 9/11 Through a Volunteer's Eyes

Post by Joyful17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "In the Aftermath- 9/11 Through a Volunteer's Eyes" by Beth SKMorris.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The attack on the World Trade Center left the world shaken to its very core. I remember feeling shocked, heartbroken, and sad. In the Aftermath by Beth SKMorris is an eyewitness account of the events that occurred after the attack.

The author worked as a volunteer at the WTC Ground Zero Relief Project after the attack on the World Trade Center. This book is her way of coming to terms with this experience. The book contains over 40 poems written in prose, formal verse, and free verse. Some of the poems describe the after-effects of the attack on individuals. Side Effects is a poem that describes the gory conditions of the site where bodies are being evacuated. A line in the poem shares how difficult it was even to breathe. It says, 'Noxious air that seeps through my mask...Human methane.' Another fascinating poem in the book is titled Window Washers. In beautifully crafted words, it describes the painstaking work that has gone into the design of the towers; only for them to come crumbling down.

The poems held me captivated. They flowed smoothly and were quite easy to decipher. Literary devices brought life to the poems. I loved the skillful way in which assonance was used in The Volunteer. Repetition was also used in Not Like Orpheus, and rhymes appeared in Compassion Fatigue.

My most favorite poem is I Found Everything Else. Beth made artistic use of spacing to make the poem a pleasurable read. It was fun to piece the scattered words together to form a coherent poem. The only dislike I have about this book concerns the poem, By the Numbers—Homo Naledi. The contents of the poem seem out of place in the book. I feel the author should have provided a link between this poem and the general theme of the book.

I found it helpful to analyze the concluding notes in the book. They provided background information about many of the poems. This helped me gain insight into the thoughts and feelings of the author as the poems were composed. It also made it easier for me to understand the poems.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was exceptionally well edited. The poems opened my eyes to the far-reaching effects of the attack on the World Trade Centre. The book is free of profanities and graphic descriptions of gore. Overall, the poems were beautifully composed. Lovers of poems with an interest in the World Trade Center attack would find this book enlightening.

In the Aftermath- 9/11 Through a Volunteer's Eyes
View: on Bookshelves
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

I'd love to get authentic formation on that attack on the world trade organisation. Great to come across an eyewitness' account. I will check this book out. Great review.
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

The use of poems to illustrate scenes is the most impactful tool used in the book in my opinion. Loved the way you brought up and mentioned every poem with its specialties . Indeed a beautifully written review! :D
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

This sounds very profound. I love poetry, and real ones are deep. I can already feel the sorrow of this frist-hand account. Thanks for the review.
Jeanabel Ramos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeanabel-ramos.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Jeanabel Ramos »

I think this book is amazing by just reading your review. Thank you for your wonderful review, I will definitely read this one.
Kanchan Sharma
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Kanchan Sharma »

The review is captivating. It is difficult to imagine that the author is an eyewitness to the destruction of the WTC. I am surely planning to read the book.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

I think this is one of the world events that everybody remembers. I remember exactly where I was when I first heard the news. I can’t even beginning to imagine how it was for those who were involved. Unfortunately I do not enjoy poetry, I would prefer reading short stories instead. However, this sounds like a beautifully composed book! Thanks for your lovely review!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Novela book
Favorite Book: Chameleons
Currently Reading: The Midnight Library
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novela-book.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Novela book »

:tiphat: I have watched several films and biographies on the incident of 9/11. This one looks unique in my opinion and more deep with the showcasing of the aftermath. A great review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I have trouble appreciating pomes written in a language that's not my primary language but works written by someone who directly witnessed the aftermath of the attacks to the Twin Towers are part of our recent history. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Khushboo Barwar
Favorite Book: Inertia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khushboo-barwar.html
Latest Review: The Price of Dreams by Jerry A. Greenberg
Reading Device: B07XVJZPKZ

Post by Khushboo Barwar »

Love it when people use poetry to describe events and experiences. It does make us feel what the author would have been feeling, even if it’s just one millionth of the pain. I think the concluding notes would make it more easy to interpret. Thanks for this awesome review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”