Review of Riddle Field

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Review of Riddle Field

Post by LinaMueller »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Riddle Field" by Derek Thomas Dew.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Riddle Field by Derek Thomas Dew is a set of 51 "avant-garde" poems addressing heavy and dramatic themes. For those who don't know, "Avant-guard" means poetry (or another artistic genre) that defies convention. After all, what is innovative about this book? After so many millennia, it isn't easy to be innovative in terms of grammatical structure. What I found innovative was the way he dealt with the topics discussed.

First and foremost, the author addresses the effects of the destruction of a dam on the inhabitants of a small American town. Past events that occurred at the place are described, and even the perspective of different animals appears several times. Another theme discussed is the post-traumatic stress disorder (though not mentioned in psychological terms) of someone who has been sexually abused. Such a heavy theme has been dealt with classy and, in many ways, indirectly. One of the most important features of this set of poems is that it has no linearity. The issues interconnect, and if in one verse the author is talking about the imminent destruction of the dam, in the other, he may be talking about the curves of Adrienne Barbeau.

My favorite aspect of the book is that the author's chaotic and surreal style fits incredibly well with the message of the poems. Various animals are mentioned in the most different verses. In one of the poems about the dam's destruction, the author says that a "cow went into labor." It shows incredibly well how nature is indifferent to the disasters caused by men. It also highlights the absurdity of a world where technology is not used for the good of humanity and various ecosystems but, unfortunately, to the economic interests of a privileged few.

I had to postpone completing this review because I read the book more than once. This fact could indicate that the poems are not easy to understand in their entirety. In some internet reviews, I noticed that several users complained, saying that the author should make an introduction explaining the events in his life that motivated him to write these poems. Some might see it that way, but the reality is that poetry is very different from historical fiction or any other genre. There is no right or wrong interpretation, and neither should the author explain what a particular verse means. By way of example, the author may have written several poems as a form of purgation of emotions (catharsis). I, on the other hand, can interpret a poem in another way. That's the natural beauty of poetry, and for that reason, I'm afraid I have to disagree with the mentioned users. Thus, I found nothing negative to say.

All in all, I rate Riddle Field four out of four stars. It is a collection of dramatic/surrealist poems that address heavy themes with intelligence and class. I didn't find anything negative to mention, so the score is self-explanatory. There are no grammatical errors. While many may find the author's style confusing and challenging to understand, I ended up finding it a perfect way to express emotions. I recommend this book to everyone who enjoys avant-garde poetry. People who don't like poetry or who like more traditional styles of poetry should avoid this book.

Riddle Field
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Avant-garde is a new term for me. Everyone's interpretation of the poems is different and it is entirely up to the author to share what he wishes. I like that the themes are connected.
Thank you for a great review!
angelap5467
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Favorite Book: Crime and Punishment
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelap5467.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by angelap5467 »

I adore this type of writing that overcomes the subject in such a gracious way. Loved your review.
Victor Kilyungi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-kilyungi.html
Latest Review: A Fate Unwound Too Soon by anna-karen sorensen

Post by Victor Kilyungi »

Defiant poetry indeed.
This ought to be worth the read. I like poetry and I'm curious to know what this poet has in store for us. Thank you for such a detailed review.
Meera Dandekar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meera-dandekar.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by Meera Dandekar »

This definitely feels like a worthy read. I’m not usually a fan of poetry but the review does make it sound appealing.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

This seems like a unique poetry book. Even if the poems might be hard to understand, I would still like to give this book a chance. Thanks for a wonderful review!
sunny4life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunny4life.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by sunny4life »

I like this review. the writer expresses some opinions that I also happen to share. For instance, I have to agree that poems, like other forms of art ought to be left as abstracts, open to the interpretation of the reader. Great review!
Khushboo Barwar
Favorite Book: Inertia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khushboo-barwar.html
Latest Review: The Price of Dreams by Jerry A. Greenberg
Reading Device: B07XVJZPKZ

Post by Khushboo Barwar »

I agree with you that some parts of poetry should be left unexplained. We interpret those parts on our own experiences, good or bad. Isn’t that the beauty of it? Thanks for the review. I would definitely check it out.
the_ashfeathers
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-ashfeathers.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by the_ashfeathers »

This feels like a must-read. I love poetry, and deviating from the conventional is my elixir. Thanks for the review!
"Bloodthirsty little beasts. Never trust a duck." ~ Will Herondale (Cassandra Clare)
IamJc_Bembo12
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjc-bembo12.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by IamJc_Bembo12 »

Comprehending a subtle line of poetry for me is enjoyable yet mind nerving. Reading poetry has always been my favorite hobby. Thanks for this honest and explicit review! I should definitely give this a go.
ViviVivid
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivivivid.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by ViviVivid »

I learned something new about poetry. Avant- guard poetry. I would love to read this one. And technology is indeed being used for the economic interests of a privileged few. At least a major portion of the time. Great review!

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”