Official Review: Morning Coffee by Lachandra Jordan

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Official Review: Morning Coffee by Lachandra Jordan

Post by Joyful17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Morning Coffee" by Lachandra Jordan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Would you love to live in a house with few windows and no doors? I wouldn't. A house with numerous windows and doors can bring delight to the soul. Morning Coffee by Lachandra Jordan is a collection of poems that made me feel like I was living in such a lovely house.

The book explores life and love through prose and poems. The writings embrace numerous themes which include love, emotions, time, the future, the art of poetry, and so on. The poems were of different forms, moods, tones, and structures. The entire book consists of 22 pages. Simplicity stands out in this creative piece. The structure of the poems attests to this. They were neither lengthy nor cumbersome. Also, the illustrations at the concluding part of the book were very simple, basic figures which were drawn to pass messages that were connected to some of the poems.

Lachandra's writing style as a poet is unique. Her poems are simple but deep. For instance, the short poem titled Inspire personified "inspire" and passed across a message that inspires the reader to attain a shift in mood. Her use of keywords such as courage, strength, and tenacity gave life to the poem. I love the fact that many literary devices were employed in Morning Coffee. In the poem titled Star, the author successfully made creative use of the em dashes to highlight major parts of the poem. In another poem titled This is Where, numerous phrases were repeated in a way that brought meaning and structure to the poem.

My most favorite poem is Simplicity. Its development was well executed. I particularly love the major shift in mood towards the end of the poem where it says, "I write sometimes then stop to note The complexity my mind invokes."

Although the cover page of the book includes the central theme of love, I observed that many of the poems were not related to this theme. Also, inasmuch as there were numerous meaningful poems with much depth and structure in the book, there were a few that went above my head. One of such is the poem titled Formless. This is what I dislike most in this book. For these reasons, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

However, the text was exceptionally well edited. I had a good time reading through the poems because they were emotional and engaging. I frequently had mood shifts while reading. I would recommend this book to lovers of poems related to love, time, and the art of poetry.

Morning Coffee
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Post by Jagiine »

It seems like a lot of thoughtfulness and consideration went into this book. Patience is key in making good art. I also really like the inclusion of drawings at the end; that's kind of unique. Thanks for your review!
Shrashti_04
Favorite Book: Finding James
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by Shrashti_04 »

It seems like in this book poems are very intense and very thoughtful. It consists of only 22 pages. Poems have deep and unique meaning which also inspire us.
the_ashfeathers
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-ashfeathers.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by the_ashfeathers »

The poetry appears to be profound and beautiful and the cover does justice to the content too. I'll read this for sure.
"Bloodthirsty little beasts. Never trust a duck." ~ Will Herondale (Cassandra Clare)
Omeri Jeremiah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Omeri Jeremiah »

22 pages with beautiful poems. I think this book should be one of the best. I have to read it.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”