Official Review: Root Hog Or Die by Sahr J Sankoh

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Official Review: Root Hog Or Die by Sahr J Sankoh

Post by TheMazeRunner »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Root Hog Or Die" by Sahr J Sankoh.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever read a book that deals with all today’s problems? Have you read a work online that talks about the wrong interpretation of a healthy body and life? Do you agree that there are many problematic things no one wants to talk about? Well, if your answers are all negative, Root Hog Or Die should be on your bookshelf, waiting for you to read it.

Root Hog Or Die by Sahr J Sankoh is a book that belongs to the drama and poetry genre. I rarely pick books from that genre, but I am very thankful that I chose this one. It has both opened my mind and shocked me so much that I still cannot process some information found in the book. The author is very straight and deals with themes that are very sensitive to some people. The book’s title is based on an Appalachian phrase, meaning that the one has to fend for themselves. The author also provides notes on how to read the book at the very beginning of the text.

This book is both scattered and compact at the same time. I have never read a book like this one, and it was a genuine refreshment for me. The author talks about the world’s problems like poorly paid jobs, evil people, sex trafficking, and more. Also, the author mentions the errands related to black people and racism that is occupating people around the world. This book possesses 38 short poems where each one deals with a specific problem. Every story has a unique title that shows what will happen next. Those titles are thoughtful, provoking, and creative. There are also plain black and white illustrations that fill the pages of the book and nicely fit the text.

The story that shocked me the most was the one that discusses corporations, governments, and churches stealing and trafficking children. I knew that was a problem before, but I never knew that people were so evil to take away a child’s life just like that. The story I liked the most was about the corona pandemic. I felt like I was the one who wrote the story since I had the same opinion, just like the author. Careless people full of themselves led to this pandemic, and their friends or families did nothing to stop them.

I have found just a few minor errors in the book, and I am sure it is edited professionally. The book contains profane words and sensitive topics. There is absolutely nothing I dislike about it.

Root Hog Or Die deserves 4 out of 4 stars. I would give it a higher rating if I could because it delighted me with its content. I recommend this book to everyone except children and teenagers because some topics are not appropriate for them. Those who are very sympathetic to the church might be shocked by some information in the book.

Root Hog Or Die
View: on Bookshelves
MarcellaM
Currently Reading: Grey heart
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-a.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by MarcellaM »

The topics discussed in this book are those that most people are afraid to talk about and it surely takes alot of courage to address this issues. This review is very well detailed and entails many unique insights. It sure is a must read.
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 499
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwill0988.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by Rwill0988 »

I’m not sure if this is a collection of poems, a story or a short story set. It seems like a wide range of topics are covered and that interests me. This sounds like an interesting read. I really enjoyed reading your review.
“Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” ~ The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Kanchan Sharma
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Kanchan Sharma »

A clear and candid review. I would love to check it myself.
Sakura5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakura5.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sakura5 »

It seems interesting to treat such complex topics via the medium of poems, it is definitely something original. Thank you for your detailed review!
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

The title caught my attention. How come there is not a book cover? It would draw even more attention to your review. The topics seem interesting, but I try to avoid books with profanity. Thanks for an interesting review!
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

Certainly sounds like some very sensitive topics, but some that are very important and need to have attention brought to them. Great review!
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Looking at the cover design and the title, I would never have guessed that this book contained poetry. I noticed that many people (including myself) have been inspired to write poems since the pandemic first started.

Thank you for such a detailed review.
😌
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”