Official Review: All The Things A Man Can Write

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Official Review: All The Things A Man Can Write

Post by Marcel Cantu »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "All The Things A Man Can Write" by Sentual Strong.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

All the Things a Man Can Write by Sentual Strong is a collection of poems that gathers the author’s own experiences, his societal opinions, and his words of encouragement in a short book of poetry. The poems are grouped under five main headers including chapter topics such as “Motivation,” “Connection,” and “Winning and Losing.” The individual poems center around relatable topics such as depression, rejection, and violence, but generally bring a positive, optimistic perspective to overcoming these issues. The book begins with a brief summary where Strong states that he hopes his words are used to bring about something good, and that attitude is truly present in his writing.

I enjoyed that many of the poems centered around the author’s personal experiences in a way that was very relatable to nearly every person’s experience at some point in their life. Strong states from that start that he wants to be an encouragement to his readers, and I believe he does a good job pursuing that goal. He addresses many of the questions and discouraging moments of life, but brings uplifting words of encouragement to those who can relate to the pain contained within the poems.

There are also some beautifully written moments within this book with lyrical phrasings that are a joy to read. Unfortunately, other sentences within this text are practically impossible to understand. Nearly every page of this book contains spelling and grammatical errors that make the text very challenging to enjoy. The use of poetry rather than prose creates space for more grammatical leniency, but many of the poems have phrasings that are very awkwardly put together and cumbersome in a way that takes away greatly from the reading experience.

I would give All the Things a Man Can Write by Sentual Strong a two out of four stars rating. This collection of poems has good intentions and some beautiful moments but is so overwhelmed with grammatical errors and disjointed writing that I was unable to award the text more than two stars. This book has a very real and intimate tone and would be a pleasure to read if it went through a serious amount of revision and editing.

I would recommend this book to those who enjoy poetry centered around personal experiences and storytelling. I would not be able to strongly recommend this book because of the issues mentioned, but All the Things a Man Can Write is an interesting text that explores humanity through poetry.

All The Things A Man Can Write
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
GoodLuck ES
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodluck-es.html
Latest Review: Always Before Me by John Servant

Post by GoodLuck ES »

A book containing poems that focus on topics such as rejection, depression and violence but still manages to bring a positive perspective to overcoming these issues is one I will love to read.

Great review.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

The title is eye catching. I mean who wouldn't wan to know what a man can write. But the numerous errors will make it a bad reading experience, until next time. Thanks for the review!
Marcel Cantu

Post by Marcel Cantu »

GoodLuck ES wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 00:15 A book containing poems that focus on topics such as rejection, depression and violence but still manages to bring a positive perspective to overcoming these issues is one I will love to read.

Great review.
It does have good intentions and tries to bring and uplifting tone to its readers.
Kavita Shah wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 05:31 The title is eye catching. I mean who wouldn't wan to know what a man can write. But the numerous errors will make it a bad reading experience, until next time. Thanks for the review!
I thought so too! Hopefully this book is edited and improved because it is an interesting concept .
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

Very clear and thoughtful review! Poetry is so hard to review because it’s so subjective, but you made it very understandable. Thanks!
Marcel Cantu

Post by Marcel Cantu »

Booklover Becca wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 10:40 Very clear and thoughtful review! Poetry is so hard to review because it’s so subjective, but you made it very understandable. Thanks!
I'm glad that was your experience! Thank you so much for stopping by!
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 499
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwill0988.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by Rwill0988 »

I usually like poetry but find it hard to read once spelling and grammar get muddled. It is too bad that Strong's message gets overwhelmed by the errors. Thank you for the insightful review.
“Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” ~ The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
sharon titus
Currently Reading: Her Eyes Underwater
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-titus.html
Latest Review: My Only Sunshine by Lou Dischler

Post by sharon titus »

This sounds like an interesting read. Thank you for your hard work.
Marcel Cantu

Post by Marcel Cantu »

Rwill0988 wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 21:27 I usually like poetry but find it hard to read once spelling and grammar get muddled. It is too bad that Strong's message gets overwhelmed by the errors. Thank you for the insightful review.
I agree it can take away quite a bit form the experience. Thank you for your comment!
Marcel Cantu

Post by Marcel Cantu »

sharon titus wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 05:56 This sounds like an interesting read. Thank you for your hard work.
Thank you for stopping by!
Holly Fleming
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holly-fleming.html
Latest Review: Beyond by Ruth Mitchell

Post by Holly Fleming »

I appreciate it when an author groups poems together to create a more seamless reading experience. It's disappointing to hear that there were so many errors in the book. Thank you for an insightful review!
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

Beautiful to read the author's attempt at being inspirational through poems. It is unfortunate the errors make the book an unpleasant read. Thank you for this review!

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”