Official Review: STICKS AND STONES: Poetry and Prose

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Official Review: STICKS AND STONES: Poetry and Prose

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "STICKS AND STONES: Poetry and Prose" by Chelsea DeVries.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sticks and Stones is a collection of poetry and prose by Chelsea DeVries. The works are about the toxicity of DeVries’ former job and its destructive impact on her mental health. The book also highlights the pain of feeling an unrequited love for a colleague. In this book, poetry serves as an instrument to tell a story about finding the courage to stand up against oppression and the strength to overcome internal struggles.

DeVries chose to write in free verse. Like many contemporary poets, she toys with her line breaks by utilizing the enjambment style. Those who dislike this style may find it difficult to appreciate these poems. Towards the middle of the book, the author provided a context in prose form, which was accompanied by photographs as well.

What I like the most is the author’s authenticity. The way the author bled all over these pieces was evident in her tone and choice of words. She made the poems very personalized and tailored to her own experiences, creating a coherent story throughout the collection. Unlike many poets, she does not conceal her sentiments behind highfalutin words. I managed to decode the poems with ease, as the author wrote as close to the ordinary language as possible. I also appreciated the themes DeVries chose to employ in her writing. While she writes about romantic emotions, she also conveys more profound topics, like harassment, sexuality, and mental health. “Fight on, Fighter” and “Black Canvas” are my favorite poems in the collection. They speak of how the author uses writing as a coping mechanism, which is a sentiment that resonates with me as someone who also seeks refuge in written words.

An anthology is difficult to fully appreciate, though, as it contains an assortment of works. While I liked some of these poems, I wasn’t able to relish most of them. The diction is much too simple to leave an impact. I understood the sentiments, but for the most part, it failed to get a hold of my emotions. Also, I enjoy poems that skillfully use concrete images to convey abstract concepts. In this collection, there are some brilliant metaphors and symbols, but there are also weak and repetitive ones. The comparison of someone’s laugh to music, for example, was used countless times throughout the text. These are what I dislike about this book.

I commend the author for the courage to deliver an honest story that will empower many others. I would rate Sticks and Stones: Poetry and Prose 3 out of 4 stars. The author created a story out of these poems, which I found interesting. I also appreciated the profound themes in the collection. The editing was satisfactory, as I found only a few errors. Sadly, I had to subtract a star due to its shortcomings. Regardless, I think poetry enthusiasts who adore poems about love and empowerment will find this book a pleasurable read. I do not recommend this to readers who have an aversion to free verse and the use of enjambment in poetry.

STICKS AND STONES: Poetry and Prose
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

A collection of poems regarding mental health seems interesting enough. Despite its small problems, your review made it look worth reading. Great job!
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I like poems where the message is hidden, but also obvious. However, I think that the repetitive nature of the collection would drive me away too. I definitely enjoyed reading your review!
Njatha77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njatha77.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Njatha77 »

Very insightful review, thanks.
"Difficulty keeps it interesting!"
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I think it would be difficult to review something so full of genuine emotion, but you did a wonderful job. This truly makes me want to read the poems, especially since they’re connected and create a story
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

I enjoy free verse poetry. It allows for better expression in writing (in my opinion). But for that to move me, I need to feel the words. Thank you for your beautiful review!
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

I don't really enjoy poetry but your review intrigues me to have a look at the book. Great review!
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

I'm not really into poetry, but the topic of a difficult situation at work, appeals to me.
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

I usually skip poems, but this theme is so important, I will read it. Amazing review!
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Marcel Cantu »

This sounds like a moving and vulnerable piece. Thank you for your honest and well-written review. Great work!
Francis Kapola
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-kapola.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Francis Kapola »

The enjambment style is a new word to me. So is the style. I will have to take a look on this.
Francis Kapola
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-kapola.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Francis Kapola »

PeterRabitt20 wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 15:32 I enjoy free verse poetry. It allows for better expression in writing (in my opinion). But for that to move me, I need to feel the words. Thank you for your beautiful review!
Feeling the words is what truly makes a poem resonate. We are together in this pal.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”