Official Review: Mixed Feelings by Martina Marconi

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Official Review: Mixed Feelings by Martina Marconi

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mixed Feelings" by Martina Marconi.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The first poem in Martina Marconi’s Mixed Feelings is short but has a knockout punch. The author poetizes the wisdom of words in three simple verses. With that, Marconi aptly introduces the theme of her poetry memoir.

Mixed Feelings is a collection of poems written over the span of nine years. The author chronicles her struggles, her milestones, and the wisdom she gained from her experiences. She composed her poetry in a first-person narrative style.

It is clear that Marconi uses writing as an escape and therapy. Her poems are relatable, raw, and genuine. For instance, she writes about her thoughts of suicide, her struggles with mental illness, and her deep feelings of loneliness.

The reader can sense the author’s life reaching a crescendo with each prose. Her writing improves in parallel to her life. Halfway through the book, Marconi has become more apt at expressing herself poetically. Her proses are longer and more cohesive.

The majority of the poems are in a free verse form with end-rhymes. There is one poem that uses alliterations. The word choice is unadorned but appropriate for her intimate style. For instance, “gray” rhyming with “away” or “sympathy” rhyming with “eternity.”

My favorite aspect was following the author’s life and witnessing her growth, both as a person and a writer. She began with a brief poem about wisdom and ended her “poetic blend” hoping to make a difference in someone’s life. I wished each poem included a date—it might add a dramatic effect to the overall reading experience.

The lack of proofreading and revision was a negative aspect of this book. Sadly, I found numerous grammar and spelling errors. In addition, there were very few pauses and end punctuation; sometimes, it felt like I was reading the entire book in a single breath. Moreover, I noticed a myriad of formatting issues. For instance, there were no page numbers and no front matter. Many of the subtitles appeared on one page, while the poems started on the next page.

Decidedly, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I could not give a 3-star rating due to the numerous grammar and spelling issues. It did not merit a 1-star rating because the book has potential.

In its current condition, I cannot recommend this title to anyone. However, once it is revised, formatted, and edited, I could recommend it to readers seeking an autobiographical poem. Some poems mention faith and God; nonetheless, this book is not religiously themed.

Mixed Feelings
View: on Bookshelves
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Using writing as an escape and theory seems interesting! I enjoyed reading your great review. Nice job!
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Marcel Cantu »

This sounds like it would be a compelling book of not for all the grammar and formatting issues! I enjoyed reading your review, thank you for your work.
MarveeAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marveeaman.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by MarveeAman »

Autobiographical poems have the same impact as self-growth books. I would love to read this book . Thanks for the review.
Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Pluma »

The content of this book sounds touching and unique, but it’s a pity about all the errors in the format that kept it from being as enjoyable as it could have been. Thanks for the honest review!
Francis Aderogbin
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Francis Aderogbin »

I love it when someone expresses himself or herself poetically. Such a poem carries deeper wisdom that when emulated, reshapes the reader's perspective about life. Kudos to the reviewer.
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

lumenchristi wrote: 08 Apr 2021, 15:15 I love it when someone expresses himself or herself poetically. Such a poem carries deeper wisdom that when emulated, reshapes the reader's perspective about life. Kudos to the reviewer.
I find poetry to be an easier form of expression for many. Thanks for stopping by!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Pluma wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 21:39 The content of this book sounds touching and unique, but it’s a pity about all the errors in the format that kept it from being as enjoyable as it could have been. Thanks for the honest review!
Though the poetry was moving, it was sad about the errors. Thanks for stopping by!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

MarveeAman wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 17:09 Autobiographical poems have the same impact as self-growth books. I would love to read this book . Thanks for the review.
I agree, sometimes it is hard to know which genre to place them in exactly. Poems or non-fiction. Thanks for stopping by!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Marcel Cantu wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 08:09 This sounds like it would be a compelling book of not for all the grammar and formatting issues! I enjoyed reading your review, thank you for your work.
Those were distracting, indeed. Thanks for stopping by.
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 08:04 Using writing as an escape and theory seems interesting! I enjoyed reading your great review. Nice job!
I find reading to be an escape as well. Glad you enjoyed it, and I appreciate your support. Thanks for stopping by!
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

Your review was quite easy to read. Great job! Too bad about the book's rating, though. I hope the author can sort out the issues and give the book a better chance to reach its audience.
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Elvis Best wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 08:00 Your review was quite easy to read. Great job! Too bad about the book's rating, though. I hope the author can sort out the issues and give the book a better chance to reach its audience.
I appreciate it, and thanks for stopping by. :tiphat:
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

I don't really enjoy poetry although some small poems seem to be far more meaningful than whole written pages. Since the particular has so many issues I think I 'll pass either way. Thank you for the insight and for a very honest review!
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I must say that using poetry is a unique way of writing a memoir. Not that I read many of them, but I don't think I've run across this method before. It's unfortunate that it was marred by so many errors. Thanks for the enlightening review!
Books are my self-medication. 8)

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”