Official Review: Days of Soup and Holler by Liesl Garner

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Days of Soup and Holler by Liesl Garner

Post by Maria Esposito »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Days of Soup and Holler" by Liesl Garner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Days of Soup and Holler is a collection of poems and short personal essays by Liesl Garner. The collection is divided into five sections, based on different periods of the author’s life. The first section delves into her childhood. The second part contains pieces about the author’s married life. The third section is about her children and her experience with motherhood. The fourth section contains miscellaneous pieces that explore the author’s relationship with topics such as race, religion, and art. In the fifth and last part, the author takes us along on her writing journey by sharing poems that illustrate her relationship with “the page.”

Reading this collection has been an exquisite experience. As she puts it, Liesl Garner has “always had a vivid imagination, and a poet’s heart.” Through each poem, she seems to find and expose the beauty of everything, from a homeless man who associated her with a Modigliani painting to an after-work trip to the grocery store. Garner’s writing style is vivid and vibrant. Her verses are smooth and delicate, assembling beautifully into poems. Each piece seems to reveal an intimate part of the author’s soul, and she communicates her feelings and experiences candidly. While reading, I felt like each poem was tapping into my own emotions.

My favorite pieces in the collection are those about the author’s relationship with writing, which is her “spiritual practice” and “soul work.” She describes writing as something that helps her “view the world more poetically, more beautifully, more attentively” and “keeps dark thoughts from building up and becoming monsters.” Garner beautifully captures the unstoppable impulse to put thoughts to paper in order to make sense of the world, the people she comes across, and her own feelings. As someone who has been writing since I can remember, reading these poems warmed my heart and encouraged me to keep writing. I copied several verses from this collection to my journal, so that they can continue to guide me through my own journey with writing.

Days of Soup and Holler is professionally edited. I only came across a handful of errors that were not at all distracting. Furthermore, the collection facilitates a smooth reading experience by organizing the poems thematically.

There is nothing about Days of Soup and Holler by Liesl Garner that I did not appreciate. I loved each and every piece in this collection. I think it deserves a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I warmly recommend this collection of poems to readers who love poetry and especially to young writers that are looking to deepen their relationship with writing.

Days of Soup and Holler
View: on Bookshelves
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
ellaiela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellaiela.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by ellaiela »

I would love to have the opportunity to read this collection. Thank you for your recommendation. Great review!
LeighBee
Currently Reading: Mistborn
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leighbee.html
Latest Review: To Own Two Suns by F. E. Tabor

Post by LeighBee »

I like that there is a combination of essays and poems, as it could be a lot more clear than just abstract poems. As someone who writes for my own pleasure and not for others, I can certainly connect to the soulful aspect of writing that helps a writer grow and feel fulfilled. Maybe this book would inspire me to publish some of my writing. Thank you for your review!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

It seems like the perfect book for people who love poetry and art. Thank you for your recommendation, I might give it a try. Great job with the review!
MarveeAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marveeaman.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by MarveeAman »

I tried my best to get a poetry book on this platform but unfortunately, I couldn't get one. I have my fingers crossed. Let's see if I can get an opportunity to grab this book . Good review :)
Arpita Choudhari
Currently Reading: 11 Before 12
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Arpita Choudhari »

Such a sweet book , I would like to read this book . The author has written it in such a gratifying way.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I’m not a fan of poems. But this book sounds interesting. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Mohd Sufiyaan
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Mohd Sufiyaan »

I might usually not like poems but after reading this book helps developing interest.
Holly Fleming
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holly-fleming.html
Latest Review: Beyond by Ruth Mitchell

Post by Holly Fleming »

It's wonderful to hear that Days of Soup and Holler is engaging and professionally edited. The range of topics sounds very relatable. I am thrilled to add this book to my reading list based on your review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”