Official Review: Anna Mae Lee is My Name

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Official Review: Anna Mae Lee is My Name

Post by AntonelaMaria »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Anna Mae Lee is My Name" by Poet Caldwell Lee.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Poetry is the most emotional and personal written art form. At least, that is how I feel about it. The way a poet plays with language is nothing short of amazing. I love how readers can read the same poem and have a different reaction to it. There is a beauty in it that can’t be described with words.

Anna Mae Lee is My Name: COVID 19: A Compilation is a poetry collection by Caldwell Lee. The narrator of the audiobook is A. J. Carter. This book contains eight chapters with multiple poems in them. The author conveys a plethora of topics through his poetry collection. He is writing about his mother’s love, family, love for his country, the transience of life, pandemic, romantic love, and the sorrow of losing a friend, to name a few.

This collection is well organized and thought-provoking reflection on life. For me, the most impactful is chapter four, appropriately named COVID-19. It is very relatable to all of us. We can all feel the confusion, fear, and hopelessness that pandemics brought to our everyday life. Furthermore, the author explores the multitude of human relationships and the world throughout this collection. There is a juxtaposition of love and loss, happiness and sadness, despair and hope throughout the book.

I can’t name a favorite poem because just when I would find it, the author delivered another that I deemed favorite. In the poem fittingly called “Heroes,” the author praises everyday heroes and reminisces about lost lives. While in the poem “Meet The Poet,” there is an emphasis on arts and artists. The poem “The March Winds” is atmospheric and vividly descriptive. Nevertheless, there were many funny moments like the poem “The Tie Everyday Man.”

The author’s words evoked emotions. I listened to some poems more than once. I would recommend this book to all poetry readers who enjoy contemporary topics in their reading material. The entire compilation is easy to understand. Furthermore, this compilation would be a great introduction to readers who rarely read poetry.

I listened to this book as an audiobook. However, I wouldn’t mind reading it as well. The quality and editing of the audiobook are excellent. As far as I could tell, there weren’t any errors in it. I think the narrator did a phenomenal job. There is nothing I disliked about this book. Therefore, for the technical skill, creativity, and overall quality of this collection, I will rate it four out of four stars.

Anna Mae Lee is My Name
View: on Bookshelves
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”