Official Review: Naming The Invisible

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Official Review: Naming The Invisible

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Naming The Invisible" by Barbara Branch Bates.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Naming The Invisible by Barbara Branch Bates is a collection of thirty-three short poems depicting nature in its entirety, beauty, and captivating form. It also has a couple of poems that give a few insights into love and life's struggle. From her writing, I saw nature in a way I'd never seen before. I got to appreciate some details I took for granted or overlooked. She gave spice to nature and made a beautiful phenomenon more appealing. She made me wish for things that we had lost to the rise in industrialization and technology. One such thing is the chirping of birds in the morning, which I no longer experience, as the area I reside contains no trees. This book reminded me of how much I missed nature and the beautiful feelings it gave me.

Poetry is one aspect of writing that I've been working hard to develop. Though I'm not always consuming poetic materials, I'm always intrigued by the awesome ways poets paint beautiful pictures in my mind. Bates isn't an exception. She stringed words together to create imaginary worlds that I would travel to and not want to return in a hurry. I found myself trapped in the way she effortlessly described items in the book. To give you a sneak peek into what I enjoyed, here's a beautiful line the author used to describe the grapefruit: "The knife circles the inside edge along the lip until the little triangles loosen and the fruit opens to more than its mirror image, an interior pattern so perfectly formed that following it ensures each bite exquisite."

One thing that I look out for whenever I read a piece of poetry is the rhyme scheme. Unfortunately, the author opted for the free verse form of poetry. As much as I would have loved to see some rhymes here and there, I did appreciate the author's creativity. The lack of rhymes didn't detract from the poetic flow of the poems.

The arrangement of the poems was great to see. The thirty-three poems were divided into four categories: "Nightscapes," "About the Wild," "On Foreign Soil," and "Rendez-vous." This grouping helped me read the different poems in perspective. While focusing on a particular poem's specific message, I could also see the overarching concept that inspired it.

This book was flawlessly edited in terms of grammar and typos. However, the formatting left much to be desired. The line breaks in between sentences made the reading a tad stressful. Also, a standard pattern would have helped give the author a unique voice in the world of poetry. I was left with doubts about the poems' originalities; they came off as though the author copied them from different places and pasted them without formatting. Additionally, it made the book look like a no-brainer.

On this note, I would rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I would have given it a perfect rating, as it was an exciting read and contained no typos. However, the issues I encountered made me take away a point. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys free verse poems.

Naming The Invisible
View: on Bookshelves
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

Poetry is my favourite genre. I particularly appreciate poems that appreciate nature. Great review.
Vkaur
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vkaur.html
Latest Review: Heroes of Atlantis by Ryan Carriere

Post by Vkaur »

Free verse poems do seem more popular these days. Nature and poetry are my favourite combinations, and this seems right up my street. Thank you for your great review!
Etienneza
Currently Reading: The Ancestor's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etienneza.html
Latest Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy by H. Nattanya Andersen

Post by Etienneza »

The anthology sounds alluring .The option for free form allows for the individual's interpretation. Yes,as nature and mind scapes converge possibility and creative thought abounds.
Suraiya Baksh
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Suraiya Baksh »

This is very fun reading about nature, this poem mde me like if i was in the poem
GNerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnerd.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by GNerd »

I loved your honest review. I think I'll enjoy this poem since it's a free verse. Thank you

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”