Official Review: Contemplacion. Thoughts and Poems.

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Official Review: Contemplacion. Thoughts and Poems.

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Contemplacion. Thoughts and Poems." by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Contemplacion. Thoughts and Poems. is a collection of poems by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat. In this book, the poet focuses on a number of issues, most of which centre around her exile from her motherland, Cuba. Her poems come in all shapes and sizes, varying in length from a couple of lines to a couple of pages. They are written in English and Spanish. The poems in Spanish have not been translated into English, and vice versa. If one uses a translator to understand them, the essence would be lost in translation. So, the reader needs to be familiar with both languages before they decide to read the book.

The most recurring theme in the poems is love, which is also presented in varied forms. Having spent most of her life in exile, Monserrat uses her work to explore the love and longing for her motherland. In several poems, she recalls the beauty of her home and regrets not being able to go back there. She talks about life in Costa Rica, while also focusing on her American identity. She expresses her hopes and dreams for Cuba and also focuses on the events surrounding America.

In addition to this, Monserrat also talks about other issues. Some of her poems focus on the plight of two lovers who ache for each other from a distance. She talks about war and the impact it has on children. She also expresses random thoughts about life, inspiring the reader to take control of their life and never lose hope. A couple of poems are dedicated to her travels around the world, with a special focus on Switzerland and Istanbul. Some of the most beautiful poems in the book are the ones where she talks about Costa Rican rain, her patio and lemon tree, the mountains and the sea, and the cafes back home. The sense of longing expressed through them makes the reader nostalgic.

My rating for Contemplacion. Thoughts and Poems. is 3 out of 4 stars. Even though I enjoyed the poems, there were some things that spoiled my reading experience. I found a number of grammatical errors in it. Though poems follow their own set of rules when it comes to grammar, there were some mistakes that couldn’t be ignored. The most vexing flaw was the uneven division of lines in some poems. Another round of editing is needed to smooth over these creases.

Despite a couple of negative things, Monserrat’s book is a good read. The only thing that should stop someone from reading it is if they don’t understand Spanish or English. If they don’t know one of these languages, then half of the poems would be lost to them. It is especially unfortunate for non-Spanish speakers because most of the best poems in the book are in Spanish. However, for those who know both of these languages, it is a thoroughly enjoyable book.

Contemplacion. Thoughts and Poems.
View: on Bookshelves
Jennifer Aldo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-aldo.html
Latest Review: War Tower by Joseph Leo DeCelle

Post by Jennifer Aldo »

Unfortunately, I'm not a Spanish speaker and I know I'd lose out on those poems. But if ever a translation is published, I'd love to read. Thanks for your nice review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”