Official Review: Snake Doctor and Butterfly Whispers

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Official Review: Snake Doctor and Butterfly Whispers

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Snake Doctor and Butterfly Whispers" by Billy Curtis Fleming.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

All people go through various difficulties in their lives. It is hard to say which life’s hardships are the worst. The fact is that life is hard, but one should always focus on the positive aspects of life. Snake Doctor and Butterfly Whispers by Billy Curtis Fleming is a collection of poems in which the author primarily describes the struggles and problems he faces throughout his life.

Many themes intertwine throughout the book. The main themes that appear in the poems are love, grief, death, faith, and perseverance. Most of the poems are dedicated to the author’s deceased wife. He grieves and suffers terribly because it is very difficult for him to live without her. He also recalls days from his youth through certain poems. Likewise, the author explains how bad experiences and difficulties have helped him build himself as a stronger person. Although his life is full of grief and sorrow, the author emphasizes the importance of fighting for happiness in life.

In this book, I really like the messages that are conveyed to the reader. The author emphasizes the joy of living several times. I like how he draws positive aspects out of bad experiences. Likewise, his descriptions of nature in certain poems are very imaginative. Through descriptions of natural landscapes, the author accurately describes his inner world. I also really like the way he describes his loved one. He admires her imperfections and compares her to wildflowers. Also, the author very skillfully uses rhyme in almost every verse.

The main thing I do not like about this book is the lack of structure in the poems. Some verses consist of only one word. Also, some poems are very confusing. It seems as if some words have been added without any meaning. I also think the author should have focused on fewer topics. At the same time, I believe the structure of the book would have been better had the author organized the poems by categories.

All things considered, I decided to give this book 3 out of 4 stars. The poems are truly emotional and inspiring. I think almost every reader could identify with the author in their own way. The main reason for my slightly lower rating is the fact that some poems are confusing and incomprehensible to me. I also came across some minor grammatical errors. I would recommend this book to all lovers of motivational stories that convey important life messages. I would also recommend it to those who like somewhat abstract poetry.

Snake Doctor and Butterfly Whispers
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

Your review is balanced and honest! This book of poems sounds enjoyable, despite the lack of organization and structure.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”