Official Review: The Sighing of the Winter Trees or Beaut...

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Official Review: The Sighing of the Winter Trees or Beaut...

Post by Verna Coy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Sighing of the Winter Trees or Beautiful Poetry" by Laura Grossman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Sighing of the Winter Trees or Beautiful Poetry by award-winning poet Laura Grossman is a book of poetry designed to bring inspiration and healing to its readers. Enter a world of serenity, peace, and contemplation through the simple lines of creative reflection offered in this work. Will you find the quiet moments hinted at in the description of these poems? You'll have to read the book to find out!

The cover design of this book is beautifully suited to the text. The deep blue sky with snowflakes calmly drifting down gives off the peaceful vibe that is inherent throughout this work. The foreground tree is a point of focus that draws the reader toward thinking about nature's seasons and changes. One can almost hear the sound of the wind sighing through the branches.

These poems take the reader on a journey that ultimately creates a connection to nature in one way or another. Whether it's through the sunlight, wind, or other elements, each stanza touches on a detail that delights the senses. The changing topics in the book are much like the weather itself. One never knows quite what is coming next, but it is a delightful surprise every time.

I loved the subject matter included in this work. The comfort of a cup of herbal tea, a new favorite book from the attic, all of the items used in the central theme seem particularly suited to de-stressing the human soul. The attention to detail and continual focus on the book's central theme as it progressed are what I liked best about this author's work.

Often, during this book's reading, I was reminded of the style of poetry used in the Japanese Haiku. It is a discipline of poetry ruled by the subject of nature with a strict rhythm and syllable count. This author's writing style focuses on nature so much and carries the same lovely moods and shades of contemporary Haiku.

I found nothing to dislike in this book. The vibrant colors and descriptions in this work seem to cater to the senses. The feel of a flower petal, the taste of chocolate, the wind's sound, each sense is highlighted as the reader is taken on a journey of touch, smell, taste, sight, and sound.

I can't think of anyone who wouldn't like this book. Even those not drawn to poetry could find some bit of entertainment among the lines offered in this collection. Nature enthusiasts will especially enjoy it. Some lines mention religious themes such as Heaven and its angels, so those not into religion may feel the need to skip those lines. It contained a few minor spelling errors but seemed professionally formatted. For these reasons, I am rating this book with 3 out of 4 stars. Once the errors are corrected, it could achieve the highest rating.

The Sighing of the Winter Trees or Beautiful Poetry
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Coromandel Dreamin' by Ron Murray

Post by Praise GodWord »

Poetry is my best genre. My emotions flow with it smoothly. This is why I might give this book a chance.
1stbw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by 1stbw »

Poetry is my best genre. My emotions flow with it smoothly. This is why I might give this book a chance.
Victoria Copsey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-copsey.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Victoria Copsey »

This seems like a great book to cosy up and relax with - I will have to give it a read. Thank you for such a compelling review.
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Drianie »

Your review is so beautifully written and captivating! It is the only motivation I need to get my hands on this book. I can't wait to experience the sensory journey through these captivating poems. I appreciate the recommendation!
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: Last Minute Wedding Date by Anthony george
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Damian Keyes »

I'm a huge poetry fan and have even dabbled in creating some of my own content. I know that Ibwill enjoy this book and retain some of these life lessons you've talked about.
anna-augustynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-augustynn.html
Latest Review: The Great Awakening by Arthur F Seymour

Post by anna-augustynn »

I always think that is a difficult task to do - write a review on poetry. Sometimes it is difficult to guess what author was trying to say, there are many meanings and out of context pictures etc. Your review is excellent and making that picture clear and we all can see what to expect. Thank you for that!
Verna Coy

Post by Verna Coy »

Reviewer100 wrote: 18 Jan 2021, 06:14 Poetry is my best genre. My emotions flow with it smoothly. This is why I might give this book a chance.
Thank you for your comments, I know you'll enjoy this book.
Verna Coy

Post by Verna Coy »

Victoria Copsey wrote: 18 Jan 2021, 09:24 This seems like a great book to cosy up and relax with - I will have to give it a read. Thank you for such a compelling review.
This book is perfect for that! Thanks for your comments!
Verna Coy

Post by Verna Coy »

Drianie wrote: 18 Jan 2021, 18:29 Your review is so beautifully written and captivating! It is the only motivation I need to get my hands on this book. I can't wait to experience the sensory journey through these captivating poems. I appreciate the recommendation!
I appreciate your nice comments, thanks so much!
Verna Coy

Post by Verna Coy »

Dman_1996 wrote: 18 Jan 2021, 23:52 I'm a huge poetry fan and have even dabbled in creating some of my own content. I know that Ibwill enjoy this book and retain some of these life lessons you've talked about.
The world can't have too many poets. Thanks for your comments!
Verna Coy

Post by Verna Coy »

anna-augustynn wrote: 19 Jan 2021, 08:21 I always think that is a difficult task to do - write a review on poetry. Sometimes it is difficult to guess what author was trying to say, there are many meanings and out of context pictures etc. Your review is excellent and making that picture clear and we all can see what to expect. Thank you for that!
Thank you for your wonderful comments!
Use2alone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-use2alone.html
Latest Review: Niamh by Gary Hope

Post by Use2alone »

It sounds like ambient poetry. If I read the book outdoor or while listening to ambient music, I think I could fly away. Thanks for your review!
Latest Review: Niamh by Gary Hope

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”