Official Review: Amtrak Starbucks Jazz on the Streets of ...

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Official Review: Amtrak Starbucks Jazz on the Streets of ...

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Amtrak Starbucks Jazz on the Streets of Richmond" by John Peterson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Amtrak Starbucks Jazz on the Streets of Richmond by John Peterson is a short collection of poetry about various general themes, such as romance, beauty, and sadness. The poems in this book were written after the author’s divorce, which highly influences his tone. The poet’s writing style is very direct and conversational, as he writes his poems in an informal and casual way.

The first poem in the book is about a man who gazes at a beautiful woman while riding a train, while in the next poem the author expresses his gratitude and happiness for meeting a wonderful woman on a long road. Then, he explores themes from everyday life, such as Monday mornings and Starbucks coffee. Moreover, he discusses perfection, highlighting the beauty in every gesture and every touch of a very attractive young lady. Next, the writer shares a poem about darkness, saying that he cannot go further than the darkness. The next few poems relate to the themes of darkness, clouds, and fog, creating a sad and sorrowful tone in the text. Furthermore, the author writes about listening and hearing, describing his joy when hearing the person he loves speaking to him in the morning.

There were several things that I appreciated while reading the poems in this collection. Firstly, I liked the author’s freedom of expression, as he did not restrict himself by using rhyme, but his poems were written in free verse. In turn, this added emotion and liveliness to the book. Also, the book was well edited, as I only noticed a few minor grammatical and typographical errors. What I liked most about the text was that it was highly original because the poems were unique and authentic, as the poet

What I disliked most about the book was that the text was slightly confusing, as the poems were too abstract. The poems were often too short, and I struggled to understand what the author implied through the text.

This book may be enjoyed by male readers who like poetry. Men will likely prefer this book, as the poet writes from a man’s perspective about female beauty. Additionally, readers who appreciate jazz music may find this book more interesting.

In conclusion, I rate this book with 3 out of 4 stars. I removed a star from the rating due to the confusing nature of the poems. I could not give the book a lower score because it was professionally edited, lively, and authentic.

Amtrak Starbucks Jazz on the Streets of Richmond
View: on Bookshelves
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

The cover intrigued me and had to check out what the book was about. It looks like I am not the target audience. But, thanks for the recommendation.
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Retirement Planning by William C. Evergreen

Post by Praise GodWord »

The compendium of themes in the novel like romance and sundry was well represented in this review. Good job.
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Drianie »

Kudos to the author for experimenting and expressing himself through poetry. Sadly, this is not a book that interests me, although I think many other readers will enjoy its contents. The cover of the book was an interesting choice that immediately captured my attention!

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”