Official Review: Peeling Myself a Soul by Lynn Lee Bryant

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Caroline Anne Richmond
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Official Review: Peeling Myself a Soul by Lynn Lee Bryant

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Peeling Myself a Soul" by Lynn Lee Bryant.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Peeling Myself a Soul is a collection of poetry written by Lynn L. Bryant. The book takes you through a journey of her life, revealing layers of herself. The poems comprise a very personal memoir of her life, including all its highs and lows, with the conclusion reflecting all she has learned on this path to self-discovery.

The author states in the prelude that she has always been consumed by a spiritual and creative force, and this requires her to write. The subjects of her poetry are motherhood, love, life, spirituality and self-awareness, and the book is separated into ten chapters of different themes. The first chapter starts with poems describing the natural elements of the world in which we live, and our souls. Contemplating reincarnation and the timeless effects of nature, the author invites the reader to consider both philosophical and religious notions. 

The second chapter of poetry addresses gang mentality, drug-abuse and gun culture. The author also mentions being stopped by the police because of the color of her skin, and touches on important issues regarding prejudice and racism. Other serious issues are included in the poems, and a prevalent one is physical abuse. The author has suffered from abusive relationships and this is clear in her words. Alongside the difficult subjects, there are heartwarming poems regarding the joy of motherhood, the love for her mother, and the power of a happy and fulfilling relationship. The book follows a very personal life journey that is brought to life in captivating poems.

I should commend the author for the honesty in her writing. The poems accounting for her previous relationships moved me. Physical abuse was part of some relationships, and in others, a lack of love. I felt sorry for her unrequited love, and absolute admiration for her strength to continue and sometimes escape from toxic situations. This honesty and truth is refreshing and could also inspire anyone in a similar situation. The author has incorporated very serious issues into a brilliant collection of understandable poetry.

I enjoyed the variety of topics covered in the book. Each chapter has a unique title and the following poems describe it. Within the chapters are some great messages conveyed, such as happiness does not come from finding a partner, it comes from within. I loved these positive affirmations and the insightful lessons the author has included. The poems are written from the heart, from a woman who has learned a lot from her life experiences. This is a perfect format in which to share all her wisdom.

Religion and spirituality are a priority in the author’s life, and many of her poems allude to this. This is a woman who has a strong faith and lives her life to respect it. I enjoyed reading the dedication and passion for her faith and how it has helped her in times of darkness. I don’t think you have to be religious yourself to appreciate this, as it is not overdone or preachy. The author displays herself as a good person, and I believe she wants to help others with her words.

For a short book, many poems cover a vast spectrum of topics that are thought-provoking and insightful. My favorite chapter is the last one, as it is reflective and displays a lot of what the author has learned about life over the years. I thought this was a superb conclusion to the book and left me feeling admiration for all the author has achieved, and how much she will share with her audience.

I enjoyed everything about this book and admired the author’s original style of poetry. I experienced the book on audible and the author narrates it, reading with emotion, enthusiasm and vitality. There are no profanities or sexual themes and I didn’t hear any mistakes. I found nothing to dislike with this book, so I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. It is suitable for adults who enjoy poetry inspired by emotional and personal journeys. I’m sure any reader will find something to relate to in these poems, and will experience the heartwarming content of the author’s successes despite adversity.

Peeling Myself a Soul
View: on Bookshelves
Tablito
Favorite Book: The Mountain and The Goat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Tablito »

Although Lynn faced difficulties like physical abuse, she still recognises that not all was bad, she had a good relationship with her mom and as a mom.
Caroline Anne Richmond
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

Tablito wrote: 13 Jan 2021, 00:54 Although Lynn faced difficulties like physical abuse, she still recognises that not all was bad, she had a good relationship with her mom and as a mom.
Yes I really liked her positive outlook despite adversities. Thank you for your comments.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”