Review by RubyFriday -- Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
RubyFriday
Currently Reading: Last of the Mohicans
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rubyfriday.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Review by RubyFriday -- Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by RubyFriday »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Divided World" by Kenneth Pickering.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Divided World: Plays of Occupation and Dispossession is a thought-provoking look at the Middle East arranged in a timeline of sorts, beginning about a century ago. The playwrights, Kenneth Pickering, Hannah Khalil, Kate Al Hadid and Hassan Abdulrazzak, explore the interferences and repercussions of the world’s “super powers” in reshaping the boundaries and lives for the countries’ peoples.

The first play, “Exploring the Boundaries”, is an imaginary conversation between Sir Mark Sykes and Francois Picot in 1916 as they created the agreement that allocated control of segments of the Middle East to Britain, France, Russia, and Italy. The plays and interview that follow are a look at modern day and future events in the geographical, social and political arena. The conversations create an excellent way for the reader to feel included in the activities and not be just an observer, thereby also giving the reader empathy in this fragile world.

The characters, of course, vary from play to play, but are unique and completely believable in each. Pickering, Khalil, Al Hadid and Abdulrazzak portray them vividly through everyday conversations, with a clear expression and range of emotions. In unsettled and unsettling situations, a reader has an insight into the realities of life in the midst of conflict and destruction. Hopes and dreams are explored as well as the limited opportunities of not only pursuing them but of ever obtaining them. “The Ship No One Wanted (A Monologue)”, based on an interview with a Syrian refugee, is heart wrenching.

Divided World made me realize that I have little background knowledge of the area other than what I’ve chosen to see and read in modern media. The plays have encouraged me to research and read further of the history of the region. In this respect, the plays have very much been an eye opener and have encouraged me to participate in conversations about what I’ve read. I had never even heard about the Sykes-Picot Agreement so naturally began there in my additional reading. It seems that many Americans, at least, are ill-educated about the Middle East and, as global citizens, should be much more aware and informed on what has happened to create the conflicts of today.

The book is well-edited with only two typographical errors noticed. In two plays there are references to oral sex between men and that may be objectionable or disturbing to some readers, though it is used more in terms of a “what price will you pay” allegory than in terms of a sexual experience. Readers interested in history and social issues will probably enjoy this book the most. Rated 4 out of 4 stars.

Divided World
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”