Featured Official Review: Fragments by Bruce K. Berger

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Twylla
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Intwine
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twylla.html
Latest Review: Contagion Domination by William Nisol
fav_author_id: 165843

Featured Official Review: Fragments by Bruce K. Berger

Post by Twylla »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fragments" by Bruce K. Berger.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fragments by Bruce K. Berger is a collection of poems that gives us a glimpse into what it was like to serve in the Vietnam War. The 38 poems in this book were written to describe what it was like to be a soldier in Vietnam. You feel the jungle humidity. You see the leeches and snakes, smell the gunfire, and hear the explosions in battle.

One of my favorite poems is "Butterfly Blues." While lying in wait for the enemy, a soldier watches a Tiger butterfly land on the sight of his rifle. For 20 seconds, he forgets the war, and he recalls going fishing back home in Michigan. A sudden change in tone is used in the poem to jolt the reader back to the reality of war, “Sudden and harsh, first shots fired. The assault began.”

The author’s job in Vietnam was serving as the Next-of-Kin Editor. He sent sympathy letters to a soldier’s family when he was killed. In the poem called “Next-of-Kin Editor,” he wonders if the letters say too much or not enough or if he should send them at all. He uses a strong metaphor to convey the grief of the family, “Trying but failing to grasp the straightjacket of emotional grief,” then to emphasize the emotion, he uses the onomatopoeia, “the buzzing anger flooding the mind.”

One of the most emotional poems is the one titled, “66 Miles.” There are 58,220 names of soldiers killed in action on the Vietnam War Memorial in Washington D.C. If you laid out all 58,220 men head-to-toe, they would cover a distance of 66 miles, the same distance from Helena to Butte, Montana, or South Bend to Gary, Indiana, or Trenton, New Jersey, to New York City.

My favorite feature of the book is the artwork included with the poems. Members of the Providence Art Club in Rhode Island submitted images of 24 art objects to complement the poetry. There are three encaustics (hot wax paintings), four oil paintings, two watercolor paintings, four photographs, and eleven digital illustrations or collages. The artwork could stand alone in its own book.

To me, the Vietnam War was a documentary on PBS, but this book brings the reality of the war into sharp focus. Once you’ve read these poems, the words, “Thank you for your service,” stick in your throat and seem so inadequate.

I can’t name one thing that I didn’t like about this book. This book is well written and professionally edited. I did not see any errors. I am giving Fragments a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. This book is an important historical record of the Vietnam War. I would recommend Fragments to every American; however, if this is a sensitive or extremely emotional subject for you, be cautious about reading it. I could only read three or four poems at one sitting before I got too emotional. Then I had to set it down and come back to it later. It does contain some violent imagery and sexual references not suitable for young children.

Fragments
View: on Bookshelves
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

Wow. What an amazing review of an amazing book. I think it's so cool that he included such a variety of art. Thanks for explaining what "encaustics" are. I'd never heard of it before.
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

It seems to be a beautiful and heavy book. I have never read poems about wars, but I think I should try it. This one seems particularly interesting, because of the artbook, I think pictures can be denser than we imagine, and there's always something more to learn about them. Thanks for the great review!
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

This book seems to be very pictorial. Just by reading your review, I feel as though I have been transported to the forests where the author fought and I am seeing the forest life for myself.
Great review!
Landy Carreón
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristal-and-moon.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B07RFKK878

Post by Landy Carreón »

For many people, war is nothing but another book chapter to study at school. It is easy to forget the human side of it. The lives, the experiences, the deaths... We should not forget any of it and this book looks like a fantastic way to do it. Thanks for the review, definitely checking it out.
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

This is the first time I have come across a collection of poems about war. Looking forward to reading it someday.
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

I am not a fan of poetry, not at all. However I really enjoyed to read your review!
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Sex and the Sixty Something Guy by Mr. X

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

This is exactly my kind of book! I haven’t read that many poem collections but I might give this a shot. The way you described this book sounds promising to me. It’s emotional and the writing style sounds beautifully crafted. That “Butterfly Blues” you mentioned being your favorite, it might as well be my favorite and I haven’t even read it yet.
Williamaigle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-williamaigle.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Williamaigle »

What about these poems used during the war to give a full message! I am so curious to read this book full of intelligence. Good review!
tafta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tafta.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Post by tafta »

The review is very informative about the book and very touching. To think how far reaching the effects of war are to those serving and their families. I do not like literature that is too taxing on my emotions. Your review is as far as I will go, thank you.
CarlytheReader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlythereader.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by CarlytheReader »

Wow, I have never heard of Vietnam War poetry. There is so much about this particular war that civilians cannot fathom. What an interesting way to convey the emotions that are associated with war.
Michele H
Favorite Book: Frozen Harvest
Currently Reading: A Siblings Revenge
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michele-h.html
Latest Review: House of Dads by June Gillam
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Michele H »

Although poetry is not usually my thing, I will admit that your review was very inviting especially considering this is a very dark topic.
Khushboo Barwar
Favorite Book: Inertia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khushboo-barwar.html
Latest Review: The Price of Dreams by Jerry A. Greenberg
Reading Device: B07XVJZPKZ

Post by Khushboo Barwar »

I’ve never read war poetry. But your review convinced me anyhow. Will definitely be looking forward to all the artwork and feeling of the war. Thanks for your great review.
Aarti Jha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarti-jha.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aarti Jha »

Though i am not a big fan of novels about historical war but i appreciate the way you have explained so much about the content of the book in just few words. Great Review!
the_ashfeathers
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-ashfeathers.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by the_ashfeathers »

Oh man, I think this is the type of book I've been searching for for a while. War and realism crafted in poetry is deadly form, it shakes your inner core. I'm definitely going to read this.
"Bloodthirsty little beasts. Never trust a duck." ~ Will Herondale (Cassandra Clare)

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”