Official Review: Manna for The Hungry

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Official Review: Manna for The Hungry

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Manna for The Hungry" by Linda Perry McCarthy.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I started reading Manna for The Hungry by Linda Perry McCarthy, truly desirous of manna. I was eager to see the messages, love, and food for thought in this potpourri of poetry mentioned in the introduction to the book. The book contains several free-verse poems and a few poems that rhyme. The author writes a lot about nature, weather, and seasons. She also writes about God, creation, and her perception of God. The themes explored are topical and universal. She used personification a lot in the poems. For example, she writes about the sun smiling and the sea calling her. Her use of personification provided clarity and evoked imagery for me. Her style of writing is simple and easy to understand and will appeal to readers from different cultural backgrounds.

All the poems appeared personal and heartfelt. From the tone of her poems, Linda Perry McCarthy loves nature and staying outdoors. She appears to have a keen sense of observation and draws inspiration for her poems from nature. She sees God in creation or nature and states this in one of her poems titled ‘In God.’

I enjoyed reading the poems and pondering on them. They are not poems that one should read quickly without reflecting on the message the poet is trying to deliver. I had several favorite poems, and the more I read, the more difficult it became to choose a favorite poem. The poem “Manna in my Wilderness” was my first choice of a favorite poem until I read further and discovered other poems.

The first non-religious poem in the book was, “When did I get Old?” Being middle-aged, I could appreciate this poem. I must admit that it does get a little uncomfortable, as one gets older, to look in the mirror and see the effect of the years on one’s physique. I liked the poem on marriage titled “True Liberty.” The following verses from it spoke to me:
“I’m freer in loving my husband
Than when I was free to roam
True liberty comes when with our God
We build an eternal home.”

I think Manna for The Hungry was professionally edited because I did not find any grammatical or formatting errors. This is unusual and exceptional. I did not dislike anything about this book. Christian readers will find this book a helpful tool for meditations on nature, creation, and God. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it was exceptionally well-edited and because it made me appreciate the beauty of nature more.

Manna for The Hungry
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
justjim
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Trying to Save Piggy Sneed
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justjim.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by justjim »

I'm not a big fan of poetry books but Manna for The Hungry sounds interesting. The poem on marriage really struck me. Thanks!
"Never memorize something that you can look up." Albert Einstein
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I enjoy reading poetry but I don't like to read anything pertaining to religion. I might enjoy a portion of the poems, but most likely not all of them. Thank you for your review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The author's poems sound heartfelt and sincere. I enjoyed your description of the variety of themes she touches on and the joy that emanates from her verses. Thanks for this beautiful recommendation.
Infinite I
Favorite Book: How to Define Yourself
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-infinite-i.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Infinite I »

I am not a Christian. But still I think this book will be helpful for me. Thanks for the review 👍

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”