Official Review: Of Myriad Paths by Saal Baraan

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Official Review: Of Myriad Paths by Saal Baraan

Post by Renu G »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Of Myriad Paths" by Saal Baraan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Of Myriad Paths: To resilience, tenacity and hope is written by Saal Baraan. Using this pen name, the author shares poems that emerged from his experiences of serving as a pediatrician and taking care of his elderly parents. Hope and resilience are two of my favorite philosophical themes and psychological traits. Hence, the subtitle captured my attention, and I decided to read the collection. Although the poems contain complex thoughts and emotions, I was able to comprehend and appreciate them.

Doctors frequently encounter children, teenagers, and adults who are clinging to hope amid suffering. The image of an autumn leaf on the cover page as it remains clinging to the branch, despite an inevitable future, is an apt symbol of the reality of life. In the contents of this book, I noticed the enigma of coexisting weakness and strength, hopelessness and hope, heroes and antiheroes, as well as feelings and thoughts. The poems and illustrations depict the immensity of suffering that family members, friends, and medical personnel go through as they take care of the sick and aged.

The book has 21 poems revealing real-life and thought-provoking events. They contain the poignant theme of “loss” as we journey through life. A spouse suffering from a stroke because of a small clot, a seven-year-old girl in a wheelchair, mastectomy due to cancer, bipolar disorder, begging, catatonia, the doctor’s fees, and many more stories are included. They are filled with sadness and hope. This is a short poetry book with only 90 pages. It contains illustrations by Antonija Marinić. The artwork is exceptional and conveys the emotions involved in the concerned stories. They challenge readers to transform their way of thinking and their attitude towards people around them. I shall not spoil the read by giving out more details.

Overall, I felt as if the author was suffering from a burnout. Writing poems was cathartic and helped him to process the experiences. Suffering drains energy, but resilience shines through the stories and the people involved. This is my favorite aspect of the book. It is awe-inspiring. Since Saal is also a professor, I think medical students who read this will learn to be compassionate in their practice. As a doctor, reading the poems helped me to release pent-up feelings and be more relaxed. It could be the other way round for a few readers who might find the poems increasing their pain. It depends on each one’s context and personality.

After considering all this, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It seems to be professionally edited, and I found only 3 grammatical errors that were not distracting. There is nothing that I disliked about the book or the stories. I did not give it a lower rating because I found the theme very interesting and unique. I am pleased to recommend Of Myriad Paths to healthcare professionals and patients. It may also appeal to counselors, social workers, and people who take care of the sick and aged.

Of Myriad Paths
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
ReneeBrown
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: the brave and the wicked by Brandon clarke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReneeBrown »

Thank you for this well-written review! I don't usually read poetry but I was also intrigued by the title and the cover art. I think it is interesting that you said the poems consist of both sadness and hope. I may have to check this out.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

We all will, one day, be caring for aging parents. Poems like this can help focus and adapt an attitude of hope, even when the pain could be draining our energy. Great review!
OuKoyoo
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo »

This sounds like an interesting read. I am glad that you found the them to be unique and interesting at the same time. Thanks a lot for the insightful review.
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

Thank you for a wonderful review. This sounds like an inspirational work. You have brought up aspects of the poetry you read, that I don't think would have occured to me. I want to read this book of poems. Maybe, reading with your ideas will help me appreciate the work more. Thank you again for your review. 😌😌
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I think poetry is one of the ways we speak directly to each other's hearts instead of our heads. This is a great subject for a book of poetry. I also love how the autumn leaf on the cover brings to mind O. Henry's The Last Leaf.
Laila Hashem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laila-hashem.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Laila Hashem »

The idea behind this book seems quite unique, and it explores a topic I am not very knowledgable about, which makes me more willing to read it. Great review!
BookPower9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 387

Post by BookPower9 »

Reading this book might open the mind of many. Everything is temporary, and one day we will be facing this thru. Because, the reality is, everyone gets old if don't die early. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”