Official Review: The Onam Rhyme and Other Passages from T...

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Official Review: The Onam Rhyme and Other Passages from T...

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Onam Rhyme and Other Passages from Time, (American Edition)" by Biju Vasudevan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

You only know what you have read is worthwhile when you feel the urge to read it again. The Onam Rhyme and Other Passages from Time, (American Edition) is a collection of traditional English poems authored by Biju Vasudevan. The author is a mechanical engineer, a musician, an author, and a poet. He has won several awards, and these poems proved he is an experienced writer. The book was published by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform in 2017 and is approximately 207 pages long.

The poems in this book handle various thematic areas. They include love, suffering, hatred, friendship, poor leadership, old age hardships, and many others. There are 120 poems in total and they all show nothing is permanent in life. The reader is taken through many winding paths in life. At one moment, you will be rejoicing as you read about good friends. As you move on, you will find a persona who is disturbed by the madness and cruelty ravaging the world and only wishes for its ultimate destruction. One will also be taken down the memory lane to reminisce about the good old days when genuine love still existed.

There is a poem I read at the start, and I thought I had undoubtedly found my favorite poem. However, I was surprised to find so many more favorable poems. I like poems that talk about real-life issues, and to such a degree I am glad that this book contained them. One such poem addressed the pitiable plight of a destitute child. I read the poem and was also left wondering why suffering would befall such an innocent soul. Eventually, the conclusion is that we should be thankful for all that we have. The other poem that I liked a lot was that of an old person who realizes that people view an aged person as useless unlike when young. All these poems will leave you radically rethinking about many issues in life, such as the harsh treatment accorded to the elderly people in modern society.

A lot of literary devices were employed in the book. They included allusion, satire and sound devices such as repetition and rhyme as well. The tone was thoughtful. The book was professionally edited. A page was wrongly formatted though towards the end. I guess this might be an issue with the kindle version only.

There is nothing I did not like in this book. Therefore, I soundly rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I heartily recommend it to all readers who love poetry.

The Onam Rhyme and Other Passages from Time, (American Edition)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Wanjugush
Favorite Author: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Favorite Book: Becoming
Currently Reading: Finding A Job in Tough Times
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanjugush.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer by Julie Penshorn
fav_author_id: 2734

Post by Wanjugush »

I'm not a fan of poems but this book sounds interesting. I would love to read the different themes in the book. Great review.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

This sounds like an emotional and beautifully-written collection. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much! Great review.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

Wow! this are lovely poems based on your description. You made me want to look for the book and read. Its just so true, nothing in life is permanent. thanks for the enjoyable review.
OuKoyoo
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo »

I must say that you did a beautiful review. I am not a fan of poems but I have no doubt that those who love poems will enjoy this read. Many thanks for the review!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Thanks all for your positive comments on my review. I am sincerely grateful.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
BookPower9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 387

Post by BookPower9 »

Great review! Thanks. I agree with the Author hundred percent that nothing is permanent in this world. Everything will vanish including life. This is exactly a call for all of us to be humble, and be thankful for all the blessings that we received. Including career and possession.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

As much as I enjoy free verse, sometimes traditional poetry can be enjoyable, and it sounds like it's the case here, though the content seems quite heavy for it.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”