Official Review: Homeless God Bless by David B Churchill

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Homeless God Bless by David B Churchill

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Homeless God Bless" by David B Churchill.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Homeless God Bless is a poetry collection penned by David B. Churchill. The eclectic collection traverses themes such as homelessness, apathy, spirituality, death, afterlife, racism, injustice, nature, and love.

Churchill's collection spans 133 pages. Despite the modest page count, this is not a collection to breeze through. Churchill's sensitivity to different issues regarding homelessness is evident throughout the collection. Titles such as "Ideas of Rapture for a Country Not Known to the Bible" invite the reader to ponder for a spell, as do the poems, themselves. Churchill often notes the place, occasion, or date which inspired the piece below the title: "Moon So Bright" Supermoon, November 14, 2016.

One of the features I like most about Churchill's poetry is his creative use of imagery. In addition to picturesque images derived from the beauty of nature that I often associate with poetry, Churchill adds layers of depth to his work with imagery related to glass, mirrors, and architectural elements. A collage of stunning visuals flooded my mind as I read stanzas with references to statehouse domes, gothic spires, glass walls, and church window panes.

Overall, I believe the content of most of the collection is best enjoyed without preview. However, I will share a few highlights from some of my favorites. In "Carnival Pier," I enjoyed Churchill's vivid contrast of people of different ages enjoying a carnival. "Name of the Name" contemplates the names people call God; Churchill reveals that he refers to God as "Answer" and shares why. An "Occasion of Roses" reminisces about first love and its effect on us later in life. As a resident of a state known for mild winters, I am quite familiar with the type of early Spring in February described in "Petals in the Cold." Below is a stanza from the lovely poem:

"I did not linger long,
staring at this new palette
of pinks and grays, but
hurried on, too cold
to conclude much
about life and death,
except to note a season
out of season--"

As I dislike poetry that disregards punctuation, it is a pleasure to read a professionally-edited collection complete with a table of contents. In fact, there isn't anything I dislike about the thought-provoking read. I wholeheartedly rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to poetry connoisseurs, and it will also appeal to readers whose interest is piqued by the themes and unique imagery I described.

Homeless God Bless
View: on Bookshelves
Debottam_55
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debottam-55.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Debottam_55 »

A collection of poetry that emphasises on imagery is always a wonderful read and judging from your review I think this collection is a must-read for all poetry lovers. I'd really love to read it. You have written a very comprehensive review with good critical insight.
"What matters most is how well you walk through the fire" - Charles Bukowski
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Debottam_55 wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 13:19 A collection of poetry that emphasises on imagery is always a wonderful read and judging from your review I think this collection is a must-read for all poetry lovers. I'd really love to read it. You have written a very comprehensive review with good critical insight.
Thank you. I appreciate your comment.
Niv123
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivi-gideon.html
Latest Review: Returning fire by Linda rhoutsong

Post by Niv123 »

These themes are what I find most intriguing and will be the reason I check this book out though poetry is not my go-to genre. Wonderful review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Nivi Gideon wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 15:06 These themes are what I find most intriguing and will be the reason I check this book out though poetry is not my go-to genre. Wonderful review!
Thank you, Nivi. :tiphat:
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

I enjoyed reading your review! This sounds like a wonderful little book of insightful poems. I like that the author covers some very thought-provoking themes and uses vivid imagery to portray them.
LeeleeByoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leeleebyoma.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by LeeleeByoma »

I have a lot of respect for writers of poetry and people who love poetry. It sounds like I might enjoy "Name of the Name" though.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 26 Jun 2019, 12:18 I enjoyed reading your review! This sounds like a wonderful little book of insightful poems. I like that the author covers some very thought-provoking themes and uses vivid imagery to portray them.
Thank you. I appreciate your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

LeeleeByoma wrote: 26 Jun 2019, 15:21 I have a lot of respect for writers of poetry and people who love poetry. It sounds like I might enjoy "Name of the Name" though.
Thanks for stopping by and reading my review.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

It takes a sensitive heart to write such beautiful verse. I loved the quote you included in your review. This looks like an intriguing collection of poems. I appreciate your comments and the recommendation!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kdstrack wrote: 26 Jun 2019, 16:50 It takes a sensitive heart to write such beautiful verse. I loved the quote you included in your review. This looks like an intriguing collection of poems. I appreciate your comments and the recommendation!
Thank you for your kind comments.
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

I'm a sucker for good poetry, and this hits all the check boxes for the types of themes and writing styles that I enjoy! I'll definitely pick this up! I'm glad you enjoyed this book, Cecilia, it was a pleasure to read your glowing review!
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

nooregano wrote: 27 Jun 2019, 23:10 I'm a sucker for good poetry, and this hits all the check boxes for the types of themes and writing styles that I enjoy! I'll definitely pick this up! I'm glad you enjoyed this book, Cecilia, it was a pleasure to read your glowing review!
Thanks for your comment. Hope you enjoy the book!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This does sound like a wonderful book, but, unfortunately, I do not really enjoy reading poetry. You wrote a wonderful review, though! Thanks!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

Offering the place, date and occasion for the poem is a lovely twist that makes the poem even more personal. And I thoroughly enjoyed the poem excerpt that you included.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”