Official Review: Human Nature The Sterling The Fallacious...

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Official Review: Human Nature The Sterling The Fallacious...

Post by nooregano »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Human Nature The Sterling The Fallacious The Hideous" by Salvador DeLaRosa.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Human Nature The Sterling The Fallacious The Hideous by Salvador DeLaRosa is a collection of poems meditating upon the corrupt nature of humanity. It is a cry in the dark, a remorseful lament on how our species never learns from its mistakes and instead chooses to be evil. He suggests that by cultivating virtues, humanity can become truly beautiful. These poems include numerous critiques of the capitalistic economy, the upper class, greed, power, modern immorality, and the worldwide disrespect for nature.

It was evident that the poet was very opinionated and had taken a lot of time to research, ruminate on, and compile his viewpoints thoroughly. His intent seemed to be extremely clear, and his poems were forceful in their urgency for change. However, that is where my praise for this book ends. While the poet may have had a coherent idea of what it was that he wanted to share, he forgot that other people were not privy to the vision in the mystic’s crystal (or shall I say, cryptic) ball. With every new page that I read, I became steadily more confused about what the poems were trying to communicate. I felt like I was missing out on a lot of crucial subtext, but didn’t know where to look to find it. At every turn, it was as if the reader had to scramble to build a model of Salvador DeLaRosa’s mind to figure out how the poet might have ended up there. One example is:
Broken promises are not lies, they are a mere
misunderstanding, expecting the hybrid word yeno to be
added to the dictionary resolving the confusion
Afterwards, it struck me that the author had probably merged the words “yes” and “no” together to make “yeno.” The text was rife with sentences like these, with only very little context given for what they might mean. This made reading the text very frustrating. The only real bit of context that was provided for the reader to decrypt the poems were two articles interspersed between the other pieces, covering the topics of DARPA and magic mushrooms. I found these articles useful to build context around the two poems they were related to, and I wish that there had been more of these articles in order to have the tools to decipher the many other poems in this collection.

The style of the poetry was also obscure, ostentatious, and tedious. The poems read like the poet sat down with a thesaurus and changed every word of each piece to its most pompous counterpart. Consider the following example:
A human balancing the scale of virtues at it’s epicenter is
a rare breed indeed, a single unitary valorous action and a
warranted entitlement to Knighthood and titled a munificent
being is assured to proceed
The sentence is protracted and heavy, using a lot of dense words. The metaphorical image it created in my mind was that of a few bricks that someone had laid out in order to make a wall. Unfortunately, that person had forgotten to lay out the mortar that brought them all together. Each word was its own brick, heavy and dense with meaning–but it didn’t belong to the wall, and it wasn’t connected to the other bricks. I had to pause at each word, digest its individual meaning, and consciously try to see how it all finally fit together with the rest of the sentence.

Had he written about his subjective experiences, emotions, and thoughts I may have understood and more readily appreciated his style of poetry. In a case like that, his poetry could have been focussed on getting a specific idea or feeling out of himself in its “pure form,” which would make this collection an expressive art piece (potentially excusing the lack of decipherability). However, the meat of his poems were solid opinions that he seemed to want to communicate to the audience. He dissected society and morality in an almost clinical manner, coming to very unambiguous conclusions. If his intent was to inform the reader clearly of his ideas, he did not succeed. It felt as if the poet had not written with an audience in mind and the reader was simply an afterthought.

One thing that irked me was that the poetry was not self-aware or vulnerable, both of which I believe are two crucial factors that distinguish poetry from prose. These poems did not welcome the reader in, nor did it feel like the reader was sharing an experience with the poet. The poetry did not act as a mirror to the world of human flaws–done by gently guiding the reader to face his or her own dark reflection through the poet’s own inner treasures, wounds, or vulnerability. Instead, the poetry pushed the reader away, assuming an inherently exalted viewpoint and dismissing the reader as not being as “virtuous” or as “aware” as the poet. It was poetry that was the exact opposite of self-aware and vulnerable–it was moralistic and condemning. More troublingly, it seemed like it was unaware that it was being moralistic and condemning.

This collection could also use some editing, as I found more than ten instances of grammatical mistakes relating to punctuation and incorrect word usage. It is for these reasons that I rate this collection of poems 1 out of 4 stars. I would personally be very discerning about who I recommend Human Nature The Sterling The Fallacious The Hideous to. However, if I had to suggest some general demographics that might be interested in this collection, I would say it would be readers who have an interest in dissecting human society or those who want to validate their feelings of indignation about the ruling classes.

Human Nature The Sterling The Fallacious The Hideous
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida
nooregano
Currently Reading:

Post by nooregano »

Post-Review Comments: I deeply apologise to the author for an error I made in this review, regarding the number of informative articles and pieces of context provided in this collection of poetry. I went back to read the poems and realised that there were at least two more pieces of context-building information provided, and that I had recorded only two when reading the book. It is my mistake for not recording them properly. I should have been more careful, and it will not happen again. Once more, my sincerest apologies to the author.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I think you are spot on about using a thesaurus. In the example you provided, I have no idea what three of the words mean, so I think I would become frustrated by having to look up so many words. And yeno? Just no.
I really enjoyed reading your review - as always :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I think I would have found this frustrating to read as well, even with the additional informative articles. Thank you for a wonderful review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This is everything I dislike about poetry. I don't enjoy trying to puzzle out the meaning behind the words. This isn't the book for me. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Shadiid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadiid.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Shadiid »

Oh my....this is a very long review ,I could not finish reading.. But ..it is wonderfuly written and very informative.
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This seems frustrating to get through even with the extra information provided. Poetry should definitely not be frustrating to read! I will pass on this one. Thank you for this excellent, thorough review!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Kaylawallace523
Currently Reading: The Memory of Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylawallace523.html
Latest Review: Why can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Kaylawallace523 »

The sentence is protracted and heavy, using a lot of dense words. The metaphorical image it created in my mind was that of a few bricks that someone had laid out in order to make a wall. Unfortunately, that person had forgotten to lay out the mortar that brought them all together.
:lol2: With the examples you gave, I agree. Poetry should flow naturally, not be forced.

Thank you for the review. I am guessing that you chose the book to review because you enjoy poetry. I'm glad there are still people that do.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This sounds like a disappointing collection. I really dislike poetry that comes across as an excuse for sloppy work. Great review on a challenging book!
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

It's too bad this collection was such a mess. it sounds like the author really wanted to get his thoughts out there but wasn't able to make it happen.
nooregano
Currently Reading:

Post by nooregano »

Bianka Walter wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 13:50 I think you are spot on about using a thesaurus. In the example you provided, I have no idea what three of the words mean, so I think I would become frustrated by having to look up so many words. And yeno? Just no.
I really enjoyed reading your review - as always :)
Hey, Bianka! Yeah, "yeno" was something that left a sour taste in my mouth too! Thanks for stopping by, I appreciate it!
nooregano
Currently Reading:

Post by nooregano »

Prisallen wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 14:02 I think I would have found this frustrating to read as well, even with the additional informative articles. Thank you for a wonderful review!
Thanks for your comments, Prisallen! I really do appreciate it! :D
nooregano
Currently Reading:

Post by nooregano »

kandscreeley wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 17:36 This is everything I dislike about poetry. I don't enjoy trying to puzzle out the meaning behind the words. This isn't the book for me. Thanks, though.
This definitely won't be the book for you then! Thank you for stopping by, kandscreeley! :D
nooregano
Currently Reading:

Post by nooregano »

Shadiid wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 19:04 Oh my....this is a very long review ,I could not finish reading.. But ..it is wonderfuly written and very informative.
Hahaha! Thank you for your honestly and kind comments, Shadiid!
nooregano
Currently Reading:

Post by nooregano »

Meg98 wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 10:11 This seems frustrating to get through even with the extra information provided. Poetry should definitely not be frustrating to read! I will pass on this one. Thank you for this excellent, thorough review!
Yes, it really was! Thank YOU for stopping by, Meg98! :D

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”