Official Review: In The Light Of Day by Paulie The Ballie

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Official Review: In The Light Of Day by Paulie The Ballie

Post by Jsovermyer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "In The Light Of Day" by Paulie The Ballie.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book, In The Light of Day, is a half autobiography and half social commentary written by eighty-seven-year-old Paulie The Ballie, also known by the nickname Bubba. Paulie is an avid golfer, which gives him the added moniker “The Ballie.” He is very opinionated and unafraid to express his strongly held beliefs. In this book, he uses a nice effect by having Paulie talk to himself, Bubba. This adds a touch of humor to the narrative. Paulie wants the world to have peace and see the truth “In The Light of Day.”

In Chapter 1, Baxter Springs, Kansas A Journey Along Ole Rte. 66 Revised, we learn about his train trip to Baxter Springs at the age of twelve to stay with his father and grandmother. He made many friends that summer, including Howard Dale and Margaret. He fell madly in love with freckle-faced Cecilia. During his teen years, he was an active member of the Salvation Army Red Shield Club. He became a golf caddy, which started his lasting love of the game. He graduated from Central High School in Tulsa, Oklahoma, in 1950. In Chapter 13, In The Yankee Fan, he discusses his love for the Yankees. He has been a Yankee fan for seventy-five years. Chapter 12, Bumps in the Night, is a hilarious tale of a spooky night visitor to him and his wife of fifty-four years.

Much, of the fifty-eight-page book, is a lament about the numerous shootings occurring in our society today. Paulie wonders about the motivation of the Vegas shooter in Chapter 10, Looking for Answers on The Vegas Shooting, and also in Chapter 6, (A Clear and Present Danger) Death Knell. German social psychologist, Erich Fromm’s analogy, The Anatomy of Human Destructiveness, was an inspiration to Paulie, and he quotes from Fromm’s book in several places. Paulie wants assault weapons banned. He believes it is the only way to stop the killing.

On seeing a Nazi flag in his town, Paulie tells of hearing Benjamin Ferencz speak about his work as a member of Patton’s third army. Ferencz documented the horror of the Holocaust concentration camps, interviewed survivors and hunted and prosecuted twenty-two Nazi officers. He says, “He saw piles of emaciated dead bodies stacked like piles of wood. The stench of death was everywhere.” This chapter, Refresher Course, was powerful, thought-provoking, and effective. Paulie talks about Hitler as an orator and explains why he gained so many supporters. This time in history should be a warning to us today.

Mixed throughout the book is Paulie’s wonderful poetry. The poem, Kindness, exemplifies caring and giving. The Playground shows that childhood goes by so quickly and must be held closely. It Is Okay to Cry, Bubba says we must stop the hatred and killing, and we must have gun control. These and his other poems display his sincere feelings and are deeply moving.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and agreed with Paulie on many of his points. This should appeal to readers who like autobiographical works and poetry. If you are against gun control, then this book is not for you. If you agree with Paulie that something must be done to stop the senseless murder, then you will applaud his unapologetic viewpoint. This book could be greatly improved by professional editing. Numerous grammatical and spelling errors detracted from his writing. Because of the numerous errors, I can’t give this book a perfect score of four. Also, I think that the content merits much more than a score of two. Therefore, I am giving In The Light of Day , by Paulie The Ballie, a score of 3 out of 4 stars.

In The Light Of Day
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jsovermyer's review? Post a comment saying so!
Janelle Juncos
Favorite Book: The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelle-juncos.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Janelle Juncos »

Sounds like a good, short autobiography. Thanks for a great review.
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This sounds like an incredibly interesting auto-biography. I tend to stay away from the biography genre as some books can be quite boring in my experience, but you might just change my mind with this great review! I will check it out. Thanks for sharing your thoughts :) Cheers
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

I think it's nice to see one who has lived such a long life not giving in to cynicism, or becoming jaded, but rather staying full of life, humour and hope as evidenced by his proposed solutions. Thanks for a great review!
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This is a bit of a different book. A bit of poetry and a bit of lamentation. I don't think it's something that would really interest me, but it's a short read. I may get around to trying it someday. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a wonderful book to read, as I agree with him at least on gun control, and he has mixed some humor in there as well. Great review!
Jsovermyer

Post by Jsovermyer »

Meg98 wrote: 05 May 2019, 21:25 This sounds like an incredibly interesting auto-biography. I tend to stay away from the biography genre as some books can be quite boring in my experience, but you might just change my mind with this great review! I will check it out. Thanks for sharing your thoughts :) Cheers
I found this book very interesting and unique. The author has strong opinions and is not afraid to express them.
Jsovermyer

Post by Jsovermyer »

Prisallen wrote: 09 May 2019, 07:29 This sounds like a wonderful book to read, as I agree with him at least on gun control, and he has mixed some humor in there as well. Great review!
I found myself agreeing with a lot of what he said. I think that is why I liked the book so much.
Jsovermyer

Post by Jsovermyer »

kandscreeley wrote: 06 May 2019, 13:14 This is a bit of a different book. A bit of poetry and a bit of lamentation. I don't think it's something that would really interest me, but it's a short read. I may get around to trying it someday. Thanks!
That's why I initially selected it, but I found myself really enjoying the book.
Quickstudy
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quickstudy.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Quickstudy »

I enjoy these types of books. There is nothing more valuable than history and experience. The elders of our world remind us of what ideas we should hold on to and those we should let go.
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

It's never too late. The author seems to be the epitome of the adage's essence. The superficial flaws could be rectified in time, too. Thank you for your interesting review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Not really my genre of choice but it sounds like an interesting autobiography. I'm certain fans of the genre will enjoy it. Great, detailed review!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Renee_Prior1995
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-prior1995.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Renee_Prior1995 »

Im usually not a fan of autobiographies. Thanks for the review though.
"From what I have tasted of desire,
I hold those who favor fire.
but if I had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate.
To say that the destruction of ice is also great
and will suffice." - Robert Frost

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”