Review by LLGroshong -- Best Evidence by Mark S. Osaki

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LLGroshong
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-llgroshong.html
Latest Review: Best Evidence by Mark S. Osaki

Review by LLGroshong -- Best Evidence by Mark S. Osaki

Post by LLGroshong »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Best Evidence" by Mark S. Osaki.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Best Evidence is a striking collection of poetry that evokes a wide array of emotions. It is exceptionally well-edited, and it has a flow that carries you effortlessly toward its end. In this book, Mark S. Osaki draws from memories, both in the distant and near past, and skillfully chooses his words so that any reader can share his feelings. Whether or not you have experienced the particular situations he describes, you will still feel the depth of his tales. Recollections of childhood innocence, fading love, and active war zones await.

Osaki's writing style is whimsical and imaginative, with a constant dark undertone. His ability to contrast the perceptions of the past against the reality of the present is striking, and it forces the reader into a state of introspection. In addition, he can bring the reader into a scene with just a few words, where they will see, hear, and feel the reality of his stories. I am amazed by how much he can accomplish with so few words.

I give Best Evidence 4 out of 4 stars. My favorite element in his writing was his use of metaphors. Osaki has managed to combine and compare unlikely objects, which both enlighten and challenge the reader. This is not a light read, as it is full of complex emotion and controversial undertones, but I praise Osaki for his tact at approaching each subject.

I can't say there was anything I disliked most about this book, because how can you dislike something so emotionally powerful? There might be readers who don't personally empathize with everything, for instance, those of us who have never seen war or battle, but that matters little. Osaki removes the veil of honor and dignity that we give to our soldiers, and allows us to see the conflict in stark reality. The emotions he evokes might be uncomfortable, but I believe they are extremely necessary.

All of that being said, this is very much an adult book. It is for readers who already know the tragedy and unfairness of the world, and who want to view it from another angle. Best Evidence won't ever be featured in middle school poetry classes, but it remains accessible for those with the emotional maturity to read it. It doesn't matter if you are an expert in the realm of poetry, or if you are a beginner with nothing but curiosity driving you, you will find great value in reading this book.

Best Evidence
View: on Bookshelves

Like LLGroshong's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”