Review by TyKnight -- The Immigrant's Lament

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TyKnight
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tyknight.html
Latest Review: The Immigrant's Lament by Mois benarroch

Review by TyKnight -- The Immigrant's Lament

Post by TyKnight »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Immigrant's Lament" by Mois benarroch.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I thoroughly enjoyed reading "The Immigrant's Lament." I had to keep reminding myself the book was written in Israel and not the United States. My favorite poem was "The Land in Which I was not Born." In view of world events and the crises that the United State's citizens find ourselves in this is a powerful poem. I believe one has to be an immigrant to understand the poem. I am an African American. America is my homeland. However, unlike most immigrants, my ancestors did not come here willingly. They had no expectations but pain and sorrow. They were not disappointed because they had such low expectations of the prison America that they found themselves in.

I can only imagine what it would be like to dream of America, risk my life to come here and then feel like "a man" who "leaves his lover who cheated on him." I did not understand the immigrant's experience because America never promised me any vows of happiness. I don't know whose situation is better, the African American who never had a reason to hope in America or the immigrant whose hope was cheated by reality.

But, I must remember the poems are about Israel and not America. I guess every immigrant has the same experience in every country. I think the best reason to read "The Immigrant's Lament" is to learn and understand that we all share the same experience no matter what country we live in. Four stars! I give the book 4 out of 4! Every poetry lover should read it.

The Immigrant's Lament
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like TyKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”