Review by cindyr2416 -- The Immigrant's Lament

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cindyr2416
Favorite Book: Ironbark Hill
Currently Reading: Parkhurst tales
Bookshelf Size: 676
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cindyr2416.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review by cindyr2416 -- The Immigrant's Lament

Post by cindyr2416 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Immigrant's Lament" by Mois benarroch.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Immigrant's Lament by Mois Benarroch is a collection of poetry that depicts the author's struggle in life. This is a short compilation of poems that do not take long to read. It's a look into the soul of a man during his struggles as a kid, emotions for his family, and as a poet.

Benarroch gives accounts of his deepest feelings as he remembers moments in his life. He describes when he was the center of his friends and the life of the party until he had to move. Once he moved he was the loner in the corner feeling isolated and alone. Even though he was at a low point this allowed him to discover his poetic side. There is a poem that speaks of his fear of what will happen to him. He knows that he was a "spoiled child" and wonders what would become of those that took care of him.

Each poem is a moment in his life that beautifully expresses his emotions and the way he perceives things. The author writes in one poem how he saw his father failing at his businesses after they moved, the change and effect of it all ending in his death. His grandfather seemed to play an important role in his life as he has written several poems about him. The poems have a flow to them that everyone can follow. It recounts events from his childhood, growing into a man, getting married, and having kids. He even goes into politics and world topics.

I like poetry but am not one that goes deep into meanings. I did, however, read this collection multiple times just because I found it intriguing. Every time I did read it I found more meaning into it.

I did like many of his poems but my favorite is "I can see you." This one poem, in particular, shows us how he has finally come to the acceptance of himself and can say I love me. He takes a look at his life in a whole through his highs and lows and comes to accept who he is.

What I disliked most was the outline of how the poetry was written. Sentences and titles were not capitalized and punctuations were not used. I am aware that it is up to the poet on how they decide to use punctuations and capitalizations in their writing. Since I do not write poetry and have not read enough of it I will not take away from his book as in the end I truly did enjoy reading his work and look forward to reading more of his books.

I did find some misspelled words in the book but nothing that deterred my reading. With that being said I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars and believe that this is a good book for those starting to read poetry, like myself, and will also intrigue those that are deep into poetry.

The Immigrant's Lament
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like cindyr2416's review? Post a comment saying so!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This sounds like a well-rounded collection that touches on many topics. I agree with your reaction to the capitalization and punctuation. Thanks for your interesting comments on this book.
cindyr2416
Favorite Book: Ironbark Hill
Currently Reading: Parkhurst tales
Bookshelf Size: 676
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cindyr2416.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by cindyr2416 »

Thank for your comment, maybe once I read more poetry I can understand more on writing styles.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”