Review by KitabuKizuri -- The Immigrant's Lament

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Review by KitabuKizuri -- The Immigrant's Lament

Post by KitabuKizuri »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Immigrant's Lament" by Mois benarroch.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Immigrant's Lament is a poetry collection authored by Mois Benarroch. It is published by Moben Publishing and the cover art is by Alan Green.

The poems are a reflection of the author's own life-journey, touching on most aspects of life like relationships, religion, culture, current affairs and dwellings. In one poem he will speak of his childhood along with interactions with his siblings and older kin. In another, he speaks of young love and contrasts it in another poem with the desire to travel and get away from his wife once in a while.

His mother and grandmother's role in where he was conceived and raised come across in poems that show where the patriarchs were influenced to reside. The grandmother's breaking down in tears prevented him from leaving for Argentina. His mother's desire to live in Israel led his father to move there, even though he didn't think his business(es) would fair well there. There are poems that also capture the author’s moments of self-reflection. I especially enjoyed The Price of a Diamond, which describes the exploitation of African natives for diamonds and contrasts it with the strong convictions of demonstrators who are passionate about nature; the wearers of the same diamonds.

I liked most the fact that the poems are packed with meaning that is easily relatable to a mature audience. The author is neither overly cryptic nor simple. I think the fact that they are translated from a different language makes it difficult for me to gauge whether the author used rhymes in the original. I also can't seem to see an obvious structure or pattern that he adheres to, but that doesn't take away from the beauty of the conveyance of his poetry. There isn’t much I dislike most about the book.

I highly recommend this book to those into poetry. The thoughts, emotions, humour and wisdom conveyed through the poetry will serve as a worthwhile source of inspiration, if not entertainment.

The current circulating Amazon Kindle copy has been refined, with the cover being different to one I read a while back. The text is also aligned to the left, as opposed to the right in the previous iteration. A number of errors have been rectified as well, like full stops before sentences and lack of spacing between words in one or two cases. The improved editing and overall quality of the book compelled me to give it a 4 out of 4 star rating.

The Immigrant's Lament
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like KitabuKizuri's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”