Review by DC Brown -- The Immigrant's Lament

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Review by DC Brown -- The Immigrant's Lament

Post by DC Brown »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Immigrant's Lament" by Mois benarroch.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Immigrant's Lament by Mois Benarroch is a collection of poetry. No, that's not right. This book is a man's thoughts, feelings, and anguish on paper. Mr. Benarroch has found a way to pour out his soul onto the printed page. His ideas, dreams, fears, and his unique understanding of people and the world we live in are laid bare for all to see. Amazing. Some of these poems will touch your heart; some will echo your feelings; some will move you to cry for his pain.

In “Ups and downs” we follow his vacillating thoughts, wishing to change some part of his life drastically but not being able to. So many times I have felt the urge for change 'every second day...every second month...every second year...(yet) The ships anchor in the harbor.' Don't we all think of doing something drastic and different? So often, though, we do not change anything. Our ship stays anchored, as does his.

“Time to Go” was thought-provoking. He begins with 'And if it's time to go I'll go, but you rarely know when the time has come (to do many things)...If it's time to go, I'll go, if I ever know.' Isn't that the truth? So often we look back in life and think 'Aha! That's the time I should have (done this or that.)'

These are just two of the many poems Mr. Benarroch has shared in this volume. He succinctly details relations between his people and other nationalities. As a Jewish man, he seems to be leery of befriending an Arab, and at the same time, he is pained that he himself is also an outsider. His use of words, no matter the language, is excellent. I wish I could read these poems in the original language; it would be like music flowing from the page.

The translator also deserves credit for his craft, rendering these thoughts and words in English. There were a few times I wondered if the translation was correct, but it certainly did not detract from the poetry. Overall, I felt the work was well edited. I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed this collection. One would not need an appreciation of poetry as the words flow off the page without the stiffness of rhythm or rhyme. I feel comfortable recommending this book to readers of all ages as there was no foul language, violence, or explicit sex. Nor was he trying to recruit anyone to his side of the many issues his remarks addressed. Overall, an excellent book. I want to read more of his work.

The Immigrant's Lament
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like DC Brown's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”