Review by Sinclairess -- The Immigrant's Lament

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review by Sinclairess -- The Immigrant's Lament

Post by Chelsey Coles »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Immigrant's Lament" by Mois benarroch.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Immigrant's Lament is a collection of non-fiction poems by Mois Benarroch. The author grew up as a Moroccan Jew and the reader follows him through a litany of personal anecdotes conveyed through poetry. His experiences are insightful, despite his broken family life. He turns out to be a drifter who constantly travels and is never confined to one place. As he drifts the reader gets a peek inside of his troubled mind and the political woes of the countries he visits. His perspective is not the only one featured; there are other dark stories told by his loved ones and individuals that made their mark upon him.

Benarroch is a polyglot, so there are phrases in Spanish, Arabic, and French. I learned that some of the poems have been translated from these languages to English. I have only studied French. "Les entrailles du poète" is my favorite poem from this collection. I love the idea of a poet being filled with words instead of blood. As a writer, this created a strong link. If I died, I would feel the same. Benarroch does a wonderful job of capturing the essence of a tortured writer and soul. The pace of the stanzas is consuming.
When they did the autopsy they
found pages and more pages
full of poems written in seventy languages
more and more pages and no blood
no gallbladder and no heart only words

Benarroch, Mois. The Immigrant's Lament (Kindle Locations 1294-1296). Mois Benarroch. Kindle Edition.
Unfortunately, since I do not know the other languages, many of poems' true meanings are lost to me. I'm not sure how accurate the translations are. I had to ask a Moroccan friend who is also a polyglot to explain to me. I learned that one word in particular does not translate to another word, but a feeling. There are such complex emotions in this text, spoken through many different tongues.

I recommend this book for poetry lovers, especially those who enjoy international perspectives. I also recommend it to anyone who is fluent in Spanish, French, and Arabic. But beware: the tone throughout every poem is somber and terse. Some explicit themes are touched upon, but they are artfully expressed and honest.

I do not read poetry often so I cannot judge its technical elements thoroughly. Though it is difficult for me to fully understand its content, it made me broaden my horizons. It is a very touching collection. The text needs to be professionally formatted but there are no glaring errors. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. This is an intense, engaging read.

The Immigrant's Lament
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Sinclairess's review? Post a comment saying so!
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Ak1412
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Ak1412 »

Benarroch is such an interesting person and I love that you address that in your review.
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

Ak1412 wrote: 10 May 2019, 10:30 Benarroch is such an interesting person and I love that you address that in your review.
I hope to read more of his work. Thanks for your comment!
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

It's a shame when meanings get lost in the translation. Poetry especially is a very descriptive way of writing and can be changed drastically with different words. Thank you for reviewing :)
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:

Post by Chelsey Coles »

Letora wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 18:12 It's a shame when meanings get lost in the translation. Poetry especially is a very descriptive way of writing and can be changed drastically with different words. Thank you for reviewing :)
Thank you for your comment! I am sad I got lost in translation, but I just have to step up my poetry game!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”