Review by VernaVi -- The Immigrant's Lament

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Review by VernaVi -- The Immigrant's Lament

Post by Verna Coy »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Immigrant's Lament" by Mois benarroch.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Immigrant’s Lament, by Mois Benarroch, is a book of poetry written around the authors' life experiences. It begins with poems that cover a childhood like most childhoods. I laughed when I read the line about hitting his cousins. I have the same kind of memories. Interacting with other children during family gatherings is one of the joys in life. The smacks from mother for playing with matches and almost burning the house down, made me smile. It seems there is always a child in every household that has this problem. The writings of the poet really connect with readers on a basic and personal level.

The poem entitled The Immigrant’s Lament is essentially a poem communicating that there’s no place like home. It communicates the loneliness that anyone must feel when living outside their own country or native land.

The poems develop in accord with the writers' life during the length of the book. The emotions of marriage and the birth of children. The joys and despairs of life in its' normal progression.

The things that really jump out at me are the places where the author talks about his craft. When he feels almost guilty for taking the time to write poetry instead of holding down a steady job. Those kinds of thoughts really speak to the world of writers. Not every reader is a writer, it's true, but they can still appreciate the emotions involved.

In the poem entitled Watch, the lines ...What the green leaves Dropping and falling From the wind… are very eloquent. They remind me of a Japanese Haiku in the style and subject matter. Nature is always a beautiful subject in poetry.

There are such elements of humor in some of these poems! This really makes it a fun read in places. Lines like “ they sure weren’t talking about our last tango..” draw a laugh from the reader and make the book worth coming back to for a second read.

The observation of the author that poems are postcards of the soul is a wonderful way to see things. This book really spoke to me. I believe it will appeal to many ages of readers because the poetry itself is so simple in the way that it is presented. Each thought has its’ own line. It communicates itself very clearly.

I am giving this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. It was well formatted although I did find the occasional spelling error. That's why I didn’t give it the highest rating. The quality of the emotion conveyed is the reason it didn't get a lower rating. I recommend this book. It’s a great read!

The Immigrant's Lament
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like VernaVi's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”