Official Review: states of unitedness by J.C. Salazar

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Christina O Phillips
2019 Reading Goal: 60
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Currently Reading: I'll Be Gone in the Dark
Bookshelf Size: 1315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: states of unitedness by J.C. Salazar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: states of unitedness by J.C. Salazar

Post by Christina O Phillips » 04 Mar 2019, 17:42

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "states of unitedness" by J.C. Salazar.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Poetry is when an emotion has found its thought and the thought has found words.” This is a quote from Robert Frost and it perfectly describes J.C. Salazar’s collection of poems, states of unitedness. I cannot remember the last time that I enjoyed a book of poetry as much as I enjoyed this one. This book is full of emotions that I have had but could not fully explain and now I do not need to as this book does it for me.

J.C. Salazar was born in Monterrey, Mexico and grew up in Houston, Texas. To use his own words, these poems “contain a preoccupation with our connection as human beings as well as our unitedness as citizens of America.” states of unitedness is a collection of over 60 poems divided into six sections, each having its own theme such as Loves, Random and Real; Tributes; and Tattered Earth. While the majority of the poems are written in free verse, the topics of the poems have more variety.

What did I like about this book? Everything. The topics ranged from love to family to friendship to celebrations of icons such as Selena Quintanilla and to the immigrant experience. Salazar writes about many people (not just Selena, but also family members), emotions, and events in a way that, as a Mexican-American, I can relate to, but that is not to say that this book is only for what Salazar calls “hyphenated Americans.” The strength of his writing style is that he is able to write about these unique experiences in a way that one does not have to be an immigrant to understand. Salazar also expresses thoughts on the issues of Syrians and the Middle East along with comments on humanity and humaneness.

There is nothing negative that I can say about this collection. Poetry has its own rules, especially when it comes to punctuation, so I cannot say that there are any errors in the poems. I found one mistake in the introduction, but other than that this collection seems to be very well edited. There are two poems that are completely in Spanish so that could prove to be a challenge for readers without any knowledge of the language.

I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. states of unitedness is a love letter to what Salazar calls “hyphenated Americans,” and it helps non-hyphenated Americans to get a good look into the Mexican-American culture and his experiences. I recommend this to all readers of poetry. This collection was so moving that I know I will re-read it many more times.

states of unitedness
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Christina O Phillips's review? Post a comment saying so!

DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by DogoMulla » 10 Mar 2019, 17:04

I could use some good poems myself. It's been quite a while. I would say there isn't so much of them nowadays. Thank you for the excellent review Christina.

spencermack
2019 Reading Goal: 24
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 41
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading: Pretties
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by spencermack » 10 Mar 2019, 18:56

Being able to connect with a book emotionally is an amazing feeling. Poetry is a style that isn't for everyone all the time. Then there are those poems that leave the heart swooning. Glad it was such a great read, I look forward to getting my hands on it.
Spencer Mack

Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Dentarthurdent » 11 Mar 2019, 03:31

Thanks for your use of examples in your review. That makes it easier to understand what you took away from the book. I love the Frost quote you quite expertly applied to your introduction.
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 26
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Channeler by William H Kline IV

Post by kandscreeley » 11 Mar 2019, 10:42

Sounds like there's a lot of great topics covered here. Still, poetry isn't my thing. It never has been. I'm glad you enjoyed this one so much, but I'm going to have to pass. Thanks for the review, though.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

T_stone
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone » 12 Mar 2019, 03:53

I've read two books on poetry and I must say it really isn't for everyone. But, I'd lobe to read this one because it contains themes I relate to very well. Thanks for the review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White

Christina O Phillips
2019 Reading Goal: 60
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Currently Reading: I'll Be Gone in the Dark
Bookshelf Size: 1315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: states of unitedness by J.C. Salazar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christina O Phillips » 19 Mar 2019, 10:23

Dentarthurdent wrote:
11 Mar 2019, 03:31
Thanks for your use of examples in your review. That makes it easier to understand what you took away from the book. I love the Frost quote you quite expertly applied to your introduction.
Thank you!

IamShing
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 36
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: The Attuned
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry by Kaviru Gayathri Samarawickrama
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing » 20 Mar 2019, 01:56

Nice messages. Good to know someone has written good pieces of poetry.
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”