Official Review: A-Z of Animal Limericks by Kate Condon

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: A-Z of Animal Limericks by Kate Condon

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A-Z of Animal Limericks" by Kate Condon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A to Z of Animal Limericks is a poetry collection written by Kate Condon and illustrated by Mr. 7 (I assume that’s his pen name). It is a 138-page book of limericks that are grouped in alphabetical order by the first letter of the featured animal. Most of the sections feature 5-10 limericks.

For anyone who is unfamiliar with this poetry style, a limerick is a 5-line poem in which lines 1, 2 and 5 rhyme and lines 3 and 4 rhyme. Normally, lines 1, 2, and 5 should each contain 7-10 syllables and lines 3 and 4 should have 5-7 syllables each. This type of poetry is supposed to be funny in a nonsensical sort of way. Usually, a limerick starts with the phrase “There once was a,” but that’s not the case in this book.

I enjoyed this light-hearted collection. Some of the limericks contain clever phrasing and others made me laugh out loud. One of the standouts is about a boy who took a flea to school. After his schoolmates called him a fool, he got the last laugh as they began itching.

There is a wide range of animals included in the book. Although common animals are represented, there are a number of unusual animals, too. I was pleasantly surprised to read about creatures I never even heard of, such as cormorant, lyrebird, and okapi.

The black-and-white sketched illustrations are limited to an animal associated with the letter at the beginning of each grouping; a very small version of the same picture is also shown on each page of the same category. I was disappointed that there were not more pictures throughout the story and that they weren’t in color. The humorous aspect of this type of poetry lends itself well to accompanying artwork. I thick colorful pictures for at least some of the limericks would have greatly enhanced the reading experience.

The humor is apparent, although some parts might be too sophisticated for children. Many of the words are advanced, such as anthropomorphise, flayed, fuselage, and hirsute. Also, since there aren’t any illustrations that relate to specific limericks, it’s confusing when an unfamiliar animal is discussed.

Although the book is geared for all ages, I would think the alphabet format would be appeal to kids more than adults. However, be warned one of the limericks contains language completely unsuitable for children, even though the phrase is shown as an acronym. As a result, it would be better for parents to read this book aloud to children, so that they can skip over that limerick.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The poems are light-hearted and provide a nice escape from more serious reading. If illustrations would have been added for at least some of the limericks, I think it would have made the book more enjoyable. That being said, the sketched illustrations at the beginning of each section are beautifully detailed. I would recommend this book to readers who appreciate silly poetry. However, some of the limericks may be difficult for children to understand due to the sophisticated word choices and phrasing.

A-Z of Animal Limericks
View: on Bookshelves

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

A book as this needs to have a captivating illustration through each page. It is not only about the content it is also the way how you present the content. Very informative. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for your amazing and informative review! It seems like a lighthearted and fun read to while away some time.
Suzy1611
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Suzy1611 »

Limericks are sometimes funny and cute. And a added plus for the sketches.
Thanks for the age appropriate mentions, and a good review.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A a poetry collection written in the format of limericks sounds nice. I agree that the alphabet format would appeal to kids more than adults. Is it a kids' book? It is odd that some of the limericks contain unsuitable language for children. Too bad there were not enough illustrations. Not my cup of tea, but I am glad you enjoyed it. Splendid review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Sounds interesting. I think it might be good idea to have some sophisticated words to improve the children's vocabulary if their parent or the guardian is willing to offer explanation to them. However, too many sophisticated words than the easy ones can cause frustration to the children from enjoying this book. As for me, I hope I will be given the chance to read this book to unleash my childishness. Thank you for such informative review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks everyone! It would have been better to include an illustration for each poem rather than one small picture of an animal for each alphabet letter. Kids would love having more artwork, plus several of the animals written about are not common. Having a picture would help identifiy what type of animal it is.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review, it sounds like a book for adults who are in touch with their inner child, rather than a children’s book.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It does sound like more pictures would have been better. Still, it sounds like a fun collection and a great introduction to limericks! Glad you got to review this one. Thanks for your introduction to the book.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I'm not thrilled about the 1 inappropriate-for-kids limerick, although, to be fair, there is a tradition of limericks being inappropriate and this book doesn't claim to be for kids in the first place. I still think this sounds like it would be so much fun to read aloud to my kids. Thanks for the great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesoma.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Nmesoma »

Learning about animals with poetry? Yeah, who wouldn't want that. Thanks for your detailed review; it was over the top
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

This sounds like a cute and interesting read, reminds me of the time when I used to read limericks and haikus as a kid.
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

SamSim wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 10:28 I'm not thrilled about the 1 inappropriate-for-kids limerick, although, to be fair, there is a tradition of limericks being inappropriate and this book doesn't claim to be for kids in the first place. I still think this sounds like it would be so much fun to read aloud to my kids. Thanks for the great review!
I agree there is a tradition for limericks to be bawdy, but the acronym I am referring is wildy inappropriate (a curse word). While it's true that the book is specifically labelled for kids, it seems like the subject matter is more for children as the book is in an alphabet format and all about animals.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I just noticed an error in my review. Hanging my head in shame... :cry:
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

bookowlie wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 14:55 I just noticed an error in my review. Hanging my head in shame... :cry:
Been there - but we're our own worst critics, so no worries. :roll:
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”