Official Review: Schizophrenic Delight by Earl Schultz

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Official Review: Schizophrenic Delight by Earl Schultz

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Schizophrenic Delight" by Earl Schultz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Physical illnesses are relatively easy to discern and compare, and they are also more acceptable in society. On the other hand, a mental illness is something that an individual usually goes through on their own. This is because one cannot compare and contrast their own mental pain with others, as this is an unseen illness. Thus, many people think that the person suffering is merely making it up in order to garner attention.

Schizophrenic Delight by Earl Schultz is a compilation of poems that details some of the experiences and emotions that the author goes through as a result of his illness. This book falls under the poetry and drama genre, with a total of 90 poems altogether.

According to WebMD, Schizophrenia is ‘a brain disorder that distorts the way a person thinks, acts, expresses emotions, perceives reality, and relates to others. In addition, Schizoaffective disorder, which the author suffers from, includes ‘both schizophrenia and a mood disorder’.

The book, Schizophrenic Delight, is an insight into the author's mind. The poems detail how he sees the world. It details his fears and longings. Many of the poems have meanings that are deep and show the difficulty that the poet goes through in life.The themes of the poems are based on the feelings and trials that the author goes through as a result of having a schizophrenic disorder. These range from feelings of being trapped, loneliness, depression, and frustration.

The poems are free verse and of different length, some are a few lines long, while others go on for a few pages. The poems are not named, rather they are just numbered. A lot of the poems are addressed to somebody. As if the poet is speaking directly to a person - a lover, himself, and even at times, the reader themselves.

Some of my favorite lines from several of the different poems are as follows:
- “The blinds on the wall might as well be prison bars
and the tie is a chain wrapped around my neck”
- “rain drops are falling on me all of the time
when I cry inside my mind”
- “There is a time
when I cry
and a time
when I laugh
and a time
when I feel nothing at all”

The reason I first chose to read this book was that I wanted to understand what a schizophrenic goes through or at least gain a bit more insight into this illness. I think that my goal was definitely achieved. I enjoyed this book immensely. What I liked most about this book is that when reading the poems, the reader is able to get a sense of the feelings that the poet goes through. These poems translate the poet’s feelings of confusion, depression, and loneliness adequately. This is why I am rating this book a 4 out of 4 stars. I think that more effort, on the whole, needs to be made to understand mental illness and that it should not be treated as something taboo, or something non-existent, simply because it is not visible. This is one of those books that can bring this important issue to light. I would recommend this book to all those who enjoy poetry as well as those who would like to understand the pain and feelings that a person suffering from mental illness goes through.

Schizophrenic Delight
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like stoppoppingtheP's review? Post a comment saying so!

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Hi, StoppoppingtheP! I totally agree with you. I have personal experience with someone who has schizoaffective disorder. I admire the author for his ability to write meaningful poetry. One symptom of the disease is poverty of thought; I am glad he doesn't exhibit that and can still turn out creative work.

Thank you for this enlightening review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! This sounds like quite the book. I think it's hard for anyone to really understand what someone with a mental illness goes through without having experienced it. Poetry is a good way to at least get a glimpse of their life. Thanks for the great review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Before anything else I'd like to think I'm a poet. And this book sounds like it has a wealth of raw and poetry not much explored. It's definitely going on my bookshelf.
Thank you for the wonderful review
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
RegularGuy3
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regularguy3.html
Latest Review: Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Post by RegularGuy3 »

Very interesting. I've always found mental illness to be a fascinating topic, and this is a slightly different way to explore it. Thanks for the review!
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Mental illness is often hard for people to understand when they haven't experienced it. It does sound like this book of poetry helps people to understand, hopefully eliciting empathy for others in the future.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

I need to read this book. Books which help readers to understand what others are going through are always helpful. I value compassion and I feel I am better able to be compassionate when I have a better understanding of what a person is feeling. Thank you for your review. :)
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Sysybombaya
Currently Reading: Cocktails and Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sysybombaya.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B01HMN15UQ

Post by Sysybombaya »

Your review gives me more knowledge about the story.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Kinnera
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinnera.html
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin

Post by Kinnera »

Those lines from the poems in your review sound wonderful. Thanks for your review!
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin
Nthabeleng
Currently Reading: Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nthabeleng.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Nthabeleng »

Your review woke up something in me, I'm going to read this book. Thank you.
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”