Review by Wamakima -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Wamakima
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 36
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen

Review by Wamakima -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Wamakima » 28 Feb 2019, 23:53

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.]

[rbc=4:]id256062-125[/rbc:]Two soldiers, part of the Australian Force fighting the Nazi in Syria become fast friends when one of them Jack O’Brien miraculously saves Jamie Munro with a more than accurate shot at the target. Unfortunately, Jamie gets hit with artillery fire and he loses consciousness. When he comes to in hospital he realizes that Jacko had saved his life again and he develops anew and deep respect for him. They are given an assignment to travel to Egypt to neutralize the enemy front as disguised members of MI6.

Both Jamie and Jacko are Australian with the exception that Jacko is an aborigine of the Warramunga clan with quite exceptional skills as he is quite good in one on one combat, extremely fast and a high ability to walk in stealth. The Warramunga’s War is a book about these two operatives and their exciting adventures in the city of Cairo, with assistance from other members of the MI6 and spies all over the city set during the time of the Second World War.

The book is a thrilling historical fiction and I noted that the author Greg Kater provides great detailed information and specific details of the city during the time of World War II. He goes on to paint a very vivid picture of the city, its residents and of the outside world as well. The mystery murders that happen in the town and the appalling discovery of who the murderer is makes it a gratifying book to read. In addition the book also adds a little bit of romance and this makes some part of the book refreshing.

I enjoyed the book for a number reasons; the close relationship between Jamie and Jacko provides insight on important aspects of a true friendship. The author also gives detailed information about the famous historical Egyptian pyramids. The addition of Sarah O’Brien as a character, Jacko’s half-sister with remarkable tracking skills made the story a little bit balanced in terms of gender.

However the book at some point became
monotonous and boring as I had a difficult time understanding the native language and at times some scenes felt rather stretched and could be made much shorter with fewer repetitive descriptions. I took a longer time finishing the book mainly because of this reason. All in all the entire book had no editorial errors and I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend the book to any lover of historical fan fiction and war/action scenes.

The Warramunga's War
View: on Bookshelves | [amazon=B07NJZFVJX:]on Amazon[/amazon:]

Like Wamakima's review? Post a comment saying so!
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”