Review by KitabuKizuri -- The Warramunga's War

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
KitabuKizuri
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 245
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by KitabuKizuri -- The Warramunga's War

Post by KitabuKizuri » 28 Feb 2019, 16:01

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Warramunga’s War is a fictional story that was written by Greg Kater spanning thirty-eight short chapters. For this review, I was reading the Kindle edition which was published by OnlineBookClub.org.

Captain James Munro (Jamie) and Senior Seargent Jack O’Brien (Jacko) had been sent as part of a detachment of the (Australian Division) army intelligence to Cairo. They had met earlier in battle in Syria, and the then Lt. Jacko had rescued Jamie, also a Lieutenant, after he was injured. Together with Corporal Matthew MacAulay, they would report to Captain Johnny Cook on this mission in North Africa. With the help of a few resourceful ladies, they were able to infiltrate enemy lines and gather enough intel to make their allied nations proud. However, there were disturbing developments taking place involving the violation and death of several women in the vicinity which went unresolved, but not for long.

A couple of years later, the two soldiers were together again in Australia searching for two ‘American’ engineers who had disappeared after they realized their cover as agents was about to be blown. Their chase led them to deep regions of the Australian wilderness. With the help of Sarah, Jacko’s sister, they delve into a chase that proves to be an adventure that would be the talk of the country for ages to come.

The story in the book is set 1940s during the Second World War period. What I like most about the story is the manner in which the author was able to capture the unique cultural differences using language and describing the attitudes people from diverse backgrounds had towards each other. For instance, it was easy for German agents to work with the Arab locals against the British because the locals saw them (the British) as oppressive colonialists. Brocken English and foreign words were thrown in conversations to emphasize diverse backgrounds of Arabs, Warramunga, French, Germans, etc. I found nothing to dislike most about the book.

I rate the book with 4 out of 4 stars because the editing is perfect as far as I could see. Typos were only added where broken English was spoken. For instance, Sarah would say “Orright bikpela boss,” and the reader can tell the author is portraying the character as someone with a heavy Aborigine accent. Those from the era the book is set in will definitely be filled with nostalgia as they are taken back in time to days when most things were simple and people had friendlier associations despite the war.

I’ve certainly learnt a bit from engaging this story and found it entertaining as well. I think the book would appeal most to those who like works of fiction based on actual historical events. The fact that the book is written in the third person makes it easy for the author to delve in and out of scenes without always involving the main characters. Those who prefer to stick to stories of actual events (non-fiction) may not want their knowledge of historical facts distorted by engaging this book, even though it might make them better storytellers.

The Warramunga's War
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KitabuKizuri's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”