Review by Townsend2316 -- The Warramunga's War

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Townsend2316
Currently Reading: The Devil's Bones
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-townsend2316.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Review by Townsend2316 -- The Warramunga's War

Post by Townsend2316 » 24 Feb 2019, 21:05

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater is about World War II espionage during the Middle Eastern campaign. We are introduced to Australian soldiers James Munro and Jack "Jacko" O'Brian during a battle in Syria. Jacko, a half-Aboriginal Warramunga, saves Jamie from a sniper using some unusual tactics. After they recuperate from the battle, the pair are promoted and transferred to an intelligence unit. Their mission is to help identify individuals aiding the German cause living in Cairo, Egypt. Operating closely with British MI6, they target those spying and sending information to Rommel who was pushing to take over Egypt.

In the latter part of the book, Jamie and Jacko return to Australia pursuing a couple of German spy's. They embark on a long journey through several towns, meeting a multitude of people along the way. The conversations with the townspeople and the thorough descriptions of the scenery paint a vivid picture. You can't but help feeling like you are right in the middle of the story with them.

What I like most about this book is that it involves the Middle Eastern campaign from a point of view other than the US military. This is the first book (so far that I have found) that covers both aspects. The way the story is woven into true historical events makes it feel real. There aren't any wild, dramatic scenes of their espionage exploits which only adds more authenticity to the story. The field of espionage isn't dramatic and action-packed and the author shows that through this book.

The Warramunga's War is not filled with non-stop action and battlefield gore or profanity making it suitable for teens and adults. Anyone interested in historical fiction about World War II in the Middle East would enjoy this book.

The latter part of the book does become a little monotonous while they pursue war criminals across Australia. They stop in a bunch of tiny towns and always get the same story and do the same things. I had a hard time keeping them separated in my head and remembering something unique about each of them. I think a little less detail about each stop would have allowed the story to flow better.

The book seems professionally edited, I only found a couple of grammatical errors at the end of the book. Because of its authenticity and unique storyline, I give it 4 out of 4 stars.

The Warramunga's War
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Townsend2316's review? Post a comment saying so!

InStoree
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 75
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: Walking The Razor's Edge: The Dutchman and The Baron by Tommy and Hilde Wilkens

Post by InStoree » 05 Mar 2019, 12:22

I guess it deserves its place for the February Book of the Month. Your review is very engaging. I'm glad you enjoy it :)

Townsend2316
Currently Reading: The Devil's Bones
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-townsend2316.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by Townsend2316 » 08 Mar 2019, 00:30

InStoree wrote:
05 Mar 2019, 12:22
I guess it deserves its place for the February Book of the Month. Your review is very engaging. I'm glad you enjoy it :)
Thank you! 😊 It really is a unique story. I come across historical fiction and non-fiction books almost daily and haven't found anything like it.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”