Review by NicholetH -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
NicholetH
2019 Reading Goal: 16
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 25
2018 Reading Goal: 15
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 353
Currently Reading: The Orb
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholeth.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by NicholetH -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by NicholetH » 21 Feb 2019, 03:19

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Warramunga's War is a historical novel written by Greg Kater about two young Australian soldiers who meet during the Syrian campaign against the Vichy French in World War II, that become loyal friends. Captain Jamie Munro and Sergeant Jack O'Brien (better known as Jacko), an educated Warramunga aboriginal. They get involved in counterespionage as they track down German spies in Cairo, Egypt. Their friendship continues and grows. Sarah and a few other women come into the story and help with their missions.

There were scenes that captured my interest and taught me how battles were fought. Although it was a war story, there was not so many gory scenes and blood. The Warramunga's War is more of an adventure story than a war story, and about the people they meet on this journey. The novel feels written from a good Australian perspective. I applaud the strong women in this novel.

I liked the friendship that developed between the two main characters and how they got each other’s backs and stuck with each other. I enjoyed the espionage in the story the most. I did not like how monotonous the story felt in some parts of the book. But the story picked up later and read effortlessly. I also did not like the slight racism in the book towards Jacko. For example when the German spies poked fun at him. I enjoyed the way they described the interrogations and how they made it seem simple and fun. Like the quote out of the book: “Yes, she sings like a bird,” said Captain Phillips. “You just have to know which button to press. Unlike the other ladies.”

I felt the book was well researched. I enjoy historical fiction and The Warramunga's War was no exception. I was impressed by the details in the book. For example when Greg Kater described” the Great Pyramid of Giza towering before him”. I did not find any grammatical errors or typos and appreciated the book more because of it. You would not say that this is Greg Kater’s first novel because it was well written. I look forward to reading more about these characters and what will unfold in their lives next.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars because it was a lovely read and I greatly enjoyed the story and friendship within it. I would recommend the book to anyone who enjoys historical fiction and war stories. I do not recommend the book to children because of its violent and sexual scenes.

The Warramunga's War
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like NicholetH's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”