Review by CHIDAMBARAM -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
CHIDAMBARAM
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chidambaram.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Review by CHIDAMBARAM -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by CHIDAMBARAM » 18 Feb 2019, 20:17

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

RATING : 4 OUT OF 4

The title of the novel gave the impression that the author has penchant for the use of rhyming words and repetition for reiteration.

Before I really started to review the novel, quite a few ideas seemed to flow from the mountain of mind, as streams, rivulets and rivers of thoughts heading to the ocean.

Some of them drifted away for some other occasion, few of them basked in the biography of the author and fewer in the book per se.

Ultimately what prevailed over other streams, rivulets, and rivers of thoughts were the waterfalls of Weltanschauung.

For me it gave the impression that the author dwells upon the subject of Evil at two levels, the macrocosmic and the microcosmic levels. The war waged against the Nazis is symbolic of the War against evil on the general or universal domain and the war against Matthew MacAulay the serial killer and his gang is war against evil at the particular.

The author I find to have delineated the characters especially the women very meticulously whether it is Monica or Susan or for that matter Yasmina or Yvette.

The author was able to delight and well as instruct in the novel as I came across new words and interesting phrases. I found the word “shut eye” new and amazing and phrased like bogged to the eye-balls and It’s my shout.

The keen observation of Greg Kater is to be seen in the following sentence: “A small grocery with faded signs extolling the virtues of “Kinkara tea” and “Mother’s Choice Flour”.

The novelist has also weaved in elements of humor which adds to the interest like “I am happy to fight the whole German army but I am not sure I am brave enough to ask her” (pg. 95) to which Monica replies “I shall be following this fascinating romance carefully and if you don’t do anything about it in the future, you can forget the German army, I shoot you myself.”

On the flip side by calling this the first of his trilogy, he has burdened himself by a promise to come out with an even better novel making his task even more difficult. However, I wish the author the very best for his next two and finally I do not see why this should not be one of the novels to be short or at least long listed for the Booker or Pulitzer prize in the year 2019.

The Warramunga's War
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CHIDAMBARAM's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”