Review by Uchenna Urom -- The Warramunga's War

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Uchenna Urom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uchenna-urom.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Review by Uchenna Urom -- The Warramunga's War

Post by Uchenna Urom » 11 Feb 2019, 22:09

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jacko, the Warramunga saves Jamie in world war II when they fought the Vichy French in Syria. Jamie had just lost Sergeant Brennan, his sergeant in their war against the Vichy French armies in Syria and was quite holed up in his position by the machine gun fire when Jacko makes the blind shot that gives them the chance to return to their lines. Jamie again gets caught in air raids and was saved by Jacko who carried him to a hospital. Jamie and Jacko become friends and colleagues as they begin an adventure that sees them first as spies working with the MI6 in Egypt to see that Britain wins the war against Rommel. They return to Australia where they become pioneers in the newly formed Commonwealth Investigation Service (CIS). Back in Australia, they chase down two fake Americans for war crimes and find that their rogue colleague Matt is in league with the fake Americans. They set out on an adventure to capture all the criminals. Jamie ends up becoming initiated into the Warramunga tribe as a friend and brother.

The Warramunga’s War by Greg Kater is a compelling book. It holds the mind of the reader within its pages helping you visualize scenes with its apt description of the scenery and landmarks. Kater’s style also allows the reader to create images and picture each character in the book, giving the mind’s eye a motion picture of events and actions to watch.

The characters Jacko and Jamie complement themselves. Jacko is the most interesting character of the book. His loyalty to Jamie is unrivaled throughout the book. His unassuming demeanor, sensitivity to people and dedication to work is also unrivaled. Jacko’s sense of direction and tracking skills acquired from the Warramunga tribe proved to be invaluable on their adventures.

Jamie the man to whom Jacko was loyal was a very observant individual with a good sense of humor and shyness around ladies. Jamie's relationship with Jacko started out professional, but over time he finds that he can trust Jacko and they become friends. One thing I find unusual about the character is that throughout the book he is able to note the trivial but very important details of their operations, which made him very resourceful while they were spies for the MI6 where he asked the questions Johnny had forgotten to ask, but he never doubted Jacko, Matt or Johnny. I find that curious for one with Jamie's sense of detail. He displays unassuming leadership but with a firm grip on his stance and open to loads of ideas.

Greg Kater does a good job of taking the reader on a journey through the second world war from the perspective of these two Australians letting us expertly into details of their operations and personal life while making sure we do not get bored but also enjoy the sites where the characters passed through. His descriptions spur a reader who is either academic or in search of adventure to read up on these sites or find locations to tour.

What I love the most about the book is its synchrony and ability to easily pull the reader from page to page with a genuine thirst to find what happens next, what Jamie and Jacko’s next move would be, who they would meet. The book keeps the reader occupied. One would expect that the book would keep the mind puzzled but it doesn’t; it simply guides the reader through every page unveiling the next stage in Jamie and Jacko's journey. The only flaw I find is the ease with which persons cooperated with them and provided them with the information they needed when they sought it. I think it is too ideal and does not reflect how people really react.

I recommend the book to everybody who loves war stories or stories with a touch of history. The scenery in the book, its tinge of world war II history and description of sites and landmarks are worth reading. There’s also a load to take away from Jacko and Jamie’s adventure as one would find. Greg Kater’s, The Warramunga’s War is exceptional and was also exceptionally edited for that, I give it 4 out of 4 stars.

The Warramunga's War
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Uchenna Urom's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”