Official Review: Love Letters to a Victorian Spy

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
desantismt_17
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 24
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 176
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Emily Creek: Power of the Week by Joshua Wimbush

Official Review: Love Letters to a Victorian Spy

Post by desantismt_17 » 10 Feb 2019, 13:35

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Love Letters to a Victorian Spy" by Patricia Catacalos.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Romance, intrigue, and mystery collide in Love Letters to a Victorian Spy by Patricia Catacalos, the first book in this author’s Spy Series.

England, 1865. Lord Colin Layton attends a society event and is introduced to the lovely Lady Eliza Madison. Though the two are instantly attracted to one another, Eliza is a widow and has sworn never to marry again, and Colin has no interest in giving up his bachelor lifestyle. In addition, Colin’s status as one of Britain’s top spies (“Fox”) makes matrimony a tenuous option at best.

When Colin is tasked with tracking down a ledger that supposedly holds critical information about Britain’s spy network, he is thrust into a the role of lover with his new partner. Imagine his surprise when this new partner turns out to be none other than Lady Eliza (“Nightingale”). As if all this isn’t enough, someone is sending Colin love letters scented with Eliza’s perfume and signed “a secret admirer,” which Eliza swears are not from her. Can the two track down the Prussian spy among Britain’s ranks, figure out who is sending the mysterious letters, and work out their growing feelings for one another?

There is a lot going on in this book, and Catacalos handles it all with excellent precision. The two mysteries coupled with the romance offered plenty of tension to keep me interested. Whenever one aspect would fall into the background, another part of the plot would be there to pick up the action. It was all very well-orchestrated.

The characters were well-rounded and felt like real people. Eliza’s grandmother, Lady Thorndike, was one of my favorites. She was the quintessential meddling old lady with an attitude. Raven, another spy, was another secondary character I enjoyed. He wears a cowl and speaks in an intentionally raspy voice. I found myself wanting to know more about him from the first time he showed up on the page. Without spoiling, I wasn’t disappointed.

The setting felt real, too. The period clothing and various British estates grounded me in the era nicely. While the descriptions and characters drew me in, the writing itself distracted me at some points. There were many long and flowery sentences that had mixed effects on my reading experience. I had to reread some several times to get their meanings. For others, the wordiness worked to their advantage in a humorous way. The writing style lent itself well to the time period, but for me, less would have been more. I think many sentences could have been condensed without the tone getting lost.

This book contained a smattering of errors, mainly missing words. For the grammar mistakes and the confusing parts of the writing, I rate Love Letters to a Victorian Spy 3 out of 4 stars. As it turns out, I wound up solving most of the mysteries before Colin and Eliza. I’ve been reading an abundance of historical mysteries lately, though. So, I attribute this to my increased perception, rather than a lapse in the storytelling. The various aspects of the plot kept me engrossed, and others may not catch all the clues like I did. I never thought to lower my rating to 2 stars. I recommend this book to fans of historical romance or mystery books. There is some explicit content, so this book is only suitable for adult audiences. Similarly, if you don’t like sex of any kind in your books, stay clear of this one. The epilogue hinted at what’s coming next, and I’m excited to see where the rest of this series takes me.

Love Letters to a Victorian Spy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like desantismt_17's review? Post a comment saying so!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Raven Dock by Sara Caldwell

Post by kandscreeley » 12 Feb 2019, 09:23

I do enjoy books set in that time period. There's something about it that's so intriguing; maybe because it's so far removed from what we have now. I'm unsure, though, because of the confusing parts of the writing. I'll think about it a bit more. Thanks.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Rose Harebate
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Rose Harebate » 12 Feb 2019, 13:51

The plot seems interesting with realistic characters. Too bad the errors caused a book a star. Nice review!

Mbrooks2518
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 28
Currently Reading: Angels and Demons
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: MY FRIEND Marilyn by Christopher Lentz

Post by Mbrooks2518 » 12 Feb 2019, 21:34

I don't usually go for historical fiction, but the mystery and the spy aspects sound really interesting, so I'll have to check this one out. Great review!

BelleReadsNietzsche
2019 Reading Goal: 36
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 22
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 277
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche » 16 Feb 2019, 16:23

Oh my gosh. Two people who are unwillingly attracted to each other? Who don't want to love each other ? Who are thrown together as spies? It can be a hard thing to pull off, but I find it immediately appealing and your review makes me feel like this author can handle it well. Thanks for highlighting this one!
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)

unamilagra
2019 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading: UnSelfie
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra » 16 Feb 2019, 23:47

Sounds like an interesting book. I love historical fiction but haven't read many mysteries set in historical time periods. It will be interesting how the relationship between the two spies ends up, especially given that there are more to come in the series. Thanks for the review!

HRichards
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 30
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hrichards.html
Latest Review: Forensic Foraging by William C. Crawford and Jim Provencher

Post by HRichards » 17 Feb 2019, 15:28

Unsure whether I'll try this one based on the confusing writing, but I do appreciate the mystery aspect of it. I definitely would have considered this one except for the errors in writing.

Return to “Historical Fiction”