Review by Popcorn1 -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Popcorn1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-popcorn1.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Review by Popcorn1 -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Popcorn1 » 08 Feb 2019, 02:48

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jack O’Brien otherwise known as Jacko is a half-caste Warramunga aboriginal. He has a very good sense of direction which he inherited from his Warramunga ancestry. He also has a very good sense of humor paired with his lively personality. However, if a person offended him, he has an uncanny ability to make that person frustrated to death.

Jaime Munro is an Australian army officer. He has a good temper and he is always polite. However, when he encounters something unpleasant, his favorite curse word is “bloody hell!” He doesn’t like to argue much, he just takes everything in stride.

Jaime and Jacko’s friendship started instantly during their first meeting during the Syrian war when Jacko rescued Jaime amid the hail of bullets. When they were conscripted to be part of the MI6 operation in Cairo, their friendship evolved further to brotherhood. After their many years of adventure together, Jaime finally had the chance to watch the Warramunga song and dance corroboree. At the same time, Jaime was accepted as the brother of the Warramunga.

The Warramunga’s War is the first book of a series. The book’s setting is mostly during the war against the pro-Nazi French in Syria and Lebanon until the end of World War II. This book is a fast-paced narrative. However, it can clearly be seen that the author had put in a lot of effort in writing this book. The main characters are well-developed and the plot’s transitioning is smooth. The author’s writing style is superb, it takes you right inside the book.

This book is a historical fiction involving war. However, the author added a little bit of romance and humor to balance the mood. I especially like Jacko’s sense of humor. It can be said that his sense of humor is the sprinkle of spice in the book. It made me smile and laugh when I read the book.

The author did a good job in portraying the work of spies during the war. In The Warramunga’s War, you will come to know that deceit is very common during a war. However, you will also find that friendship and brotherhood in times of war is a precious gift to have and it needs to be cherished. Unexpectedly, romance can bloom in the chaos of war.

Given that this book made me experience many emotions when I read it, I will rate it 4 out of 4 stars. Despite the few typographical errors in the book, I have no complaints and I will still give it the highest rating. The Warramunga’s War is recommended to those who love to read historical fiction and books which stars spies as the main characters.

The Warramunga's War
View: on Bookshelves

Like Popcorn1's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”