Review by janinewesterweel -- The Warramunga's War

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
janinewesterweel
2019 Reading Goal: 36
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 11
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janinewesterweel.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Review by janinewesterweel -- The Warramunga's War

Post by janinewesterweel » 06 Feb 2019, 13:34

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It always intrigues me when someone goes from a long-term career in something completely unrelated to writing a novel. It is inspiring and in the case of this author, the very best thing he could have done. His leap of faith was certainly not without merit and he seems to have a natural instinct for creating an enthralling tale.

The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater begins when young Australian officer Jamie Munro is pinned down under enemy fire during the Syrian campaign against the Vichy French in World War II. Fellow Australian, Corporal Jack ‘Jacko’ O’Brien, a half-Aboriginal member of the Warramunga tribe, rescues him from certain death with a phenomenal display of shooting skill, the likes of which Jamie has never seen before. Jacko's selflessness heralds the beginning of a strong bond between the two men, that lasts throughout the war and beyond.

Both men are promoted for their bravery and for their help in ending the Syrian campaign. They then get the opportunity to assist MI6 in Cairo, identifying German spies and intercepting communication. Throughout the desert war, they hone and fine-tune their counter-espionage activities.

Life in Cairo for Jamie and Jacko is not all work and hardship. They form a strong team with the local MI6 man, Johnny and two lovely locals. Fifi is a prostitute, and Yvette is a singer and bartender, and both of these skilled ladies can assist with gleaning information from their customers. They often find themselves lunching, wining and dining at the best spots in Cairo, sometimes even in the name of work! On one of his days off, Jacko meets a beautiful young French-Syrian woman, who agrees to guide him around the pyramids and he is instantly and irrevocably smitten.

This sweeping war saga leads the two men from Cairo into intelligence work in Southeast Asia and from there back to Australia. There they are asked to set up the post-war CIS (Commonwealth Investigation Service) in Darwin. Their first task is to track down two suspected German war criminals on the run who have linked up with a gang of thugs and are terrorising all in the Outback of Western Australia. This assignment once again requires Jacko's expert shooting and tracking skills to find this thieving gang of murderers, kidnappers and rapists and bring them to justice.

The Warramunga's War is the first of a trilogy, and if this book is anything to go by, I can't wait to read the next two! Greg Kater draws you in from the first words and keeps you hooked until the very end. He has a relaxed, easy and informal way of writing which leaves you empathizing strongly with his characters and itching to know more of the Australian culture and especially the Aborigines. I loved the colloquialisms used by Jacko throughout the novel, such as, “If I have a bit of a kip now I can set out at piccaninny dawn to trail her”. His colourful descriptions like “the pulsing drone of didgeridoos” bring the surroundings and the story immediately to life. I found myself actually hearing didgeridoos in the darkness!

I really enjoyed this book, and the sub-plot within the story adds mystery and comes full circle at the end. It is also refreshing to read a different side of the Second World War which has not been as readily documented as some of the other campaigns. Fictional and historical characters seamlessly merge with one another, making the history come alive.

If you are a fan of historical fiction, this one is for you! If you are not, I believe you would still enjoy this as just a great story with a bit of intrigue, a touch of romance and a slight thriller aspect to it.

I am giving this novel a rating of 4 out of 4 stars for all of the reasons listed above and for the fact that the editor has done a great job. I could only find two very minor mistakes throughout the entire novel. There was absolutely nothing that I disliked about this book. The story flowed naturally and easily, was very well written and keeps you wanting more all the way through.

The Warramunga's War
View: on Bookshelves

Like janinewesterweel's review? Post a comment saying so!

Espie
Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 25
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 116
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Espie » 07 Feb 2019, 20:19

His leap of faith was certainly not without merit and he seems to have a natural instinct for creating an enthralling tale.
I think a great multitude of reviews here in our club would support your contention, too. This piece's genre isn't really what I'm after at this point in time, but I have placed and kept it on my list for future reading due to many reasons. My current location is one. Your write-up is another, too.

Thank you for your insightful and thorough review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

janinewesterweel

Post by janinewesterweel » 14 Feb 2019, 04:17

Thanks, @Espie . Glad it's on your radar :) I'd be keen to hear your thoughts once you get to it.

Nerea
2019 Reading Goal: 15
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Nerea » 15 Feb 2019, 02:53

You've summarized and analysed the book very well. I am currently reading the book, and i must say it's adventurous, fascinating, and thrilling. Am glad you enjoyed reading the book. I appreciate your kind review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."

MaryLexia_25
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MaryLexia_25 » 15 Feb 2019, 03:12

I was confused somehow. But I'll keep in touch with this one.

janinewesterweel

Post by janinewesterweel » 15 Feb 2019, 05:29

Kind words, thank you @Nerea. Enjoy reading! 🙂

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”