Official Review: A Jamaican Family'sSaga

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Official Review: A Jamaican Family'sSaga

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Jamaican Family'sSaga" by Leonard Archie Wilson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Leopold and Ulrica Steele gathered their four small children, boarded the SS Columbia, and left Jamaica in hopes of a better life in England. This couple would eventually have four more children. The book mainly recounts the life of Argyle, the last of the siblings born in Jamaica. We learn of his childhood antics with his siblings, his education at various English schools, his training in goldsmithing, and how he met his wife.

From Ulrica’s past, we learn about many unique Jamaican customs. Why did people call her a “goat’s mouth?” What motivated her to move her young family to England? Ulrica also carries a tragedy from the past in her heart. Her brother Raúl never returned from a fishing expedition with his cousin Alvin. This family mystery will eventually motivate Argyle to return to Jamaica to go on a quest for the uncle who was swallowed by the sea. Will he find the missing family member or is he chasing a ghost?

A Jamaican Family’s Saga by Leonard Archie Wilson comes under the genre of historical fiction. The author takes the reader on a journey through his family’s past that occurred in Jamaica, England, and the United States. He provides descriptions of each of the places where the family lived and how they had to adapt to each culture. Argyle learns the consequences of leaving his car unattended on the streets of England.

I enjoyed the descriptions of Argyle’s family life. Growing up with seven siblings meant there was never a dull moment in their home. He spoke about many happy moments as well as the typical family conflicts. How did his mother react when she discovered his rodent collection in his sock drawer? How did the death of his baby brother affect his life’s direction?

I encountered some time gaps in the story. One chapter contains a jump of thirty-two years. I found this to be jarring and contrary to the purpose of the book. The author invites the reader to follow his life and adventures but suddenly leaves the reader with a gap of several decades. I felt that this detracted from the story and left the reader confused and with many unanswered questions concerning those lost years.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The author shared entertaining and moving experiences from his life in three different countries. I encountered only a few missing apostrophes and some misspelled Spanish words. This is not a book for someone looking for a fast-paced action story. Readers who enjoy learning about other people’s life adventures and gaining wisdom from their experiences will benefit from this author’s compelling family saga. The tales of his youth and the search for his uncle are a touching and exciting read.

A Jamaican Family'sSaga
View: on Bookshelves

Like kdstrack's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Interesting. I know very little about Jamaica and their customs. It'd be fun to read this book just to get some more information. The time jumps would be a bit disconcerting for sure, though. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

kandscreeley wrote: 08 Feb 2019, 08:32 Interesting. I know very little about Jamaica and their customs. It'd be fun to read this book just to get some more information. The time jumps would be a bit disconcerting for sure, though. Thanks.
The author's experiences were eye-opening. I did not know much about Jamaica either and enjoyed learning about their customs and beliefs. The time jumps were disconcerting because I was enjoying the story and felt let down when such a large amount of time was skipped over. Still, it was a great read and the author even threw in a bit of mystery! Thanks for commenting.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

The author takes the reader on a journey through his family’s past that occurred in Jamaica, England, and the United States. He provides descriptions of each of the places where the family lived and how they had to adapt to each culture.
This seems like a good book to get a culturally diverse perspective.

Thank you for the lovely review.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Kajori50 wrote: 08 Feb 2019, 13:25
The author takes the reader on a journey through his family’s past that occurred in Jamaica, England, and the United States. He provides descriptions of each of the places where the family lived and how they had to adapt to each culture.
This seems like a good book to get a culturally diverse perspective.

Thank you for the lovely review.
The author does emphasize his Jamaican upbringing. I liked that he gave some background on how his parents met. This takes the book back another generation and includes traditions and customs practiced by his parents. It was very interesting. Thanks for stopping by!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

The Jamaican culture sounds really interesting. The gaps in time are disappointing, but I enjoyed your candid review.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Cecilia_L wrote: 08 Feb 2019, 19:14 The Jamaican culture sounds really interesting. The gaps in time are disappointing, but I enjoyed your candid review.
Thanks for your comment. I enjoyed this book and learned some new things about Jamaica!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

A gap of 32 years is truly jarring. Otherwise, the book looks enticing, especially reading first hand the adjustment of a family to 3 diverse cultures. Thank you for this informative review.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Cotwani wrote: 09 Feb 2019, 06:33 A gap of 32 years is truly jarring. Otherwise, the book looks enticing, especially reading first hand the adjustment of a family to 3 diverse cultures. Thank you for this informative review.
It was a very interesting and informative book. He shared many things about Jamaica that were new to me, and I also learned some things about life in England! Thanks for commenting.
linham02660
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linham02660.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by linham02660 »

Sounds like an interesting story. I like the cross-cultural part. Searching for answers about his missing relative sounds like quite a promising adventure. Thanks for the great review.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

linham02660 wrote: 09 Feb 2019, 10:47 Sounds like an interesting story. I like the cross-cultural part. Searching for answers about his missing relative sounds like quite a promising adventure. Thanks for the great review.
The book does present several different themes. That made it extra interesting. Hope you get a chance to read it. Thanks for commenting.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Firstly, this is an excellent review. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Many elements of this book appeal to me. Jamaican culture is rich and I would enjoy learning more about it. I would also be interested in how the character deals with resolving the trauma of losing a family member tragically. Great review!
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Eva Darrington wrote: 09 Feb 2019, 13:07 Firstly, this is an excellent review. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Many elements of this book appeal to me. Jamaican culture is rich and I would enjoy learning more about it. I would also be interested in how the character deals with resolving the trauma of losing a family member tragically. Great review!
The cultural notes were interesting. I liked that the author included the mystery about his uncle. It is an intriguing read. Hope you enjoy it. Thanks for commenting.
FDKangwamu
Currently Reading: How To Talk With Spirits: Séances • Mediums • Ghost Hunts
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fdkangwamu.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by FDKangwamu »

This is an interesting review that shows just enough about the book to intrigue the prospective reader.
As someone that's keen on travelling and learning new cultures I'd really love to get a copy of the book and read it.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

FDKangwamu wrote: 14 Feb 2019, 15:38 This is an interesting review that shows just enough about the book to intrigue the prospective reader.
As someone that's keen on travelling and learning new cultures I'd really love to get a copy of the book and read it.
Hope you enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by.

Return to “Historical Fiction”