Review by Georgia Lyonhyde -- The Traveler's Best Seller

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Review by Georgia Lyonhyde -- The Traveler's Best Seller

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Traveler's Best Seller" by Rick Incorvia.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There were quite a few books on my ‘want to read’ list. As I was scanning through the possibilities, I noticed this story and wanted to know more. It was presented as historical fiction, perhaps because it tells the tale of a history teacher, Mr Peregrine. I am a huge fan of the genre, so I took a look at the description and discovered that it blended history with science fiction. The final decision was made when I read the sample. I had just read a book on travel and watched an episode of Outlander based on the Diana Galbadon books. In a recent episode, viewers encounter a young George Washington. I wanted to see how the author, Rick Incorvia, would portray the man that would go on to change history. With The Traveler’s Best Seller, I got more than I bargained for.

The book is divided into 16 obscurely titled chapters that already leave you wanting to know more about them. I wasted no time getting stuck in. I found the book to be a page-turner. The first person narrative drew me into the story and let me see events unfold as if I was there in each scene. It was the perfect perspective for the book and was another reason that contributed to the ease of reading and the difficulty of putting the book down.

The story opens with me; I mean Mr Peregrine, on stage looking back at an audience of 25,000 people. At this point, he has changed the world and ended up in a history book. He then starts to recap his past, telling us of his students that he didn’t particularly like. That loathing or lack of interest suddenly changed, he started to see his students for whom they were. Finally, he was beginning to understand them. It isn’t too long before we find out what that diagnosis is and what it could mean for the future.

The diagnosis hits Mr Peregrine hard. It's a lot to take in, and he finds himself needing to get his life in order. Like a typical millennial, he gets straight on the internet, where he stumbles across a peculiar site. Mr Peregrine is a persistent fellow. If I encountered the site that either wouldn't load, or repeatedly crashed content, I would have given up. Tim's determination to view the content set him on a most strange form of time travel. I've never read a suggestion anything like it, I doubt you would have either.

Even before the diagnosis, Tim Peregrine is a pessimistic man. This view strengthens following the revelation of his illness. He takes a trip to meet a mysterious stranger and spends the journey wondering which of his fellow drivers will grow to be old, and heads of their families. Equally, he wonders which will perish before they reach their destination. He wonders whether he is being conned or robbed of a substantial sum of money. He then dwells on whether he is about to be murdered by a strange person he met via the internet. He only lets that thought go when he considers it might be a better way to die. Alas, after much scrutiny, Tim is cleared for time travel. The journey he takes can only be described as extraordinary. The recipient of his visit is expecting him, I think he even anticipates how the journey will go? You’ll have to read the book if you want to discover the adventure, and an adventure it is.

Several time travel experiences take place. Each one is unique in its own way and builds upon the last. I found myself becoming more and more invested in each trip. Give the book a try and you’ll discover why.

As a reader, I was left considering what would happen if Tim Peregrine’s illness took hold whilst he was away? What would happen in present time if he changed the course of history? What about if he was wounded or died on his trip? How would the strange agency cover it up? Would anyone know he even existed?

After the first trip, we see a shift in Tim’s behaviour and outlook on the remainder of his life. The fact that he is a history teaches reaps positive rewards. Optimism and positivity sneak in overnight and alter the way he interacts with his students. We note the better understanding he has of everything he has previously believed thanks to these intimate relations he has with key figures from the past.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I found the editing to be pristine. I noticed two errors. These included a misspelt word and a missing quotation mark on page 141. The superb editing only added to my reading pleasure. I rate this book a deserved 4 out of 4 stars. The variety of well-developed characters were interesting and engaging. I particularly loved Ann who organised the time travel experience and headed the strange agency. I also enjoyed the historical knowledge the book bestowed on me and the author’s interpretation of key historical events.

Overall, I have but two criticisms of the book. I found the ending to be somewhat unexpected. In my head, I was expecting something sinister or more action-packed, but what I got was ‘nice’. There’s nothing wrong with that I suppose, but I think the book deflated too quickly to reach the resolution. This brings me to my second criticism. Anyone who has read The Color Purple, by Alice Walker may understand this point well. The book is evenly paced throughout. It reels you in and keeps you dangling. However, in the final chapter time suddenly speeds up simultaneously with the pace of the writing slowing down, giving the impression of a rushed ending.

Despite the scenes of war, death, murder plots, etc., they are handled in such a way that I wouldn’t rule out a younger audience. The Time Traveler’s Best Seller would appeal to teenagers and adults with a love of sci-fi, fantasy and history. Younger readers might struggle with some of the concepts, but there’s nothing within the book that a good dictionary and thesaurus couldn’t put right. The blending of genres worked really well and heightened my interest in sci-fi, which wouldn’t normally be my genre of choice. Even if you are not a fan of all the genres within the novel, there is a lovely balance between them. The combination could easily carry you through to the end of the book. This is easily one of the best books I’ve read in a long time.

The Traveler's Best Seller
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Georgia Lyonhyde's review? Post a comment saying so!
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:
Zhariah
Favorite Book: The Chimera Vector
Currently Reading: Race to Refuge
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zhariah.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Zhariah »

I'm not a fan of rushed endings, especially if the rest of the book has been really good, it always makes me feel like the author had gotten sick of the story and just wanted it over with. The rest of the book sounds interesting enough to give it a try though, plus, I'm a sucker for time-travel books. I hope I enjoy the book as much as you did. Thank you for a lovely review :)
Georgia Lyonhyde

Zhariah wrote: 04 Feb 2019, 21:46 I'm a sucker for time-travel books. I hope I enjoy the book as much as you did. Thank you for a lovely review :)
Thank you for taking the time to read the rather lengthy review. I hope I've served the book well because it really is captivating and nothing like anything I've read before. Would love to know your thoughts when you've had a chance to read it. :D
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

I've got to say, your review is way too long. Your introductory paragraph especially needs to be trimmed down. Try rereading your work. If it's too much for you to read, others won't want to read it either. Also, Google "online grammar checkers." You'll pull up several sites that will check your work for mistakes. Best of luck with future reviews!
Georgia Lyonhyde

bb587 wrote: 05 Feb 2019, 07:39 I've got to say, your review is way too long. Your introductory paragraph especially needs to be trimmed down. Try rereading your work. If it's too much for you to read, others won't want to read it either. Also, Google "online grammar checkers." You'll pull up several sites that will check your work for mistakes. Best of luck with future reviews!
Thank you for the constructive feedback. I think as well as using the google promoted grammar sites, I need to a) get to grips with grammar. As a native speaker, I think it's something I take for granted. And b) I need to ensure that I am using US English as I've sometimes been pulled up for spelling when I'm just using my native variation. Finally, I will look at brevity, maybe not focus quite so much on the plot. :)
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

It sounds that it isn't my kinda book. Glad you liked it. Thanks a lot for the detailed review Georgia ☺
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
Georgia Lyonhyde

Zimall wrote: 18 Feb 2019, 08:54 It sounds that it isn't my kinda book. Glad you liked it. Thanks a lot for the detailed review Georgia ☺
It's a shame it doesn't tickle your fancy but there are so many books out there and we have the beauty of choice. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”