Review by Anna Maria 86 -- The Warramunga's War

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Anna Maria 86
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-maria-86.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Review by Anna Maria 86 -- The Warramunga's War

Post by Anna Maria 86 » 01 Feb 2019, 00:59

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Warramunga’s War by Greg Kater tells the story of two Australian soldiers who are being sent to Egypt to undertake a new mission. Having saved Jamie’s life in Syria during a battle of the Second World War, Jacko accompanies him to the African front. Their job from now on is to discover axis spies and act upon their discoveries. Jacko’s aboriginal descent helps him fulfill his new duties, and soon enough he and Jamie become best friends. They work well together and manage to aid in winning the desert war. The story becomes even more interesting when new characters and events add to the novel’s pace. Moving the location to Australia after the end of the war keeps it exotic for the reader while changing the scenario for some new captivating events.

In my opinion, The Warramunga’s War is an excellent read, fair dinkum! It’s a true page-turner, and its characters are real, likable and easily related to. We witness new friendships grow and relationships develop. Just like in real life, we are charmed by loyalty and repulsed by hideous crimes. Factual wartime events and historical figures are skillfully intertwined into the fictional story, making it a pleasant as well as educational read.

The writing style is light and reads effortlessly, which is a great asset. The dialogues have a casual flow to them and are filled with colloquialisms. Non-native speakers make mistakes or use words and phrases in their native language. The fact that Jacko starts using more slang having returned to Australia, where he speaks mostly to his countrymen, is very curious, but also very natural.

I loved how the author presented his characters. The fact that Jacko’s aboriginal roots play such an important role in his life is uplifting. He ultimately affects the lives of people around him as well as, to some extent, the results of the desert war. Knowing that brings joy and appreciation of the differences between people around the globe. Through that, the author feeds us food for thought about the individual’s role in the world history and in individual histories of the people around. The author also makes us ponder on the strong bonds that difficult times may create among people. We get to realize that sometimes even something as horrible as war may bring people, who otherwise never would have met, together. As readers, we also have a chance to see the characters grow and learn from one another. All that makes The Warramunga’s War an incredible book!

I rate The Warramunga’s War 4 out of 4 stars. Apart from all the aforementioned pros, the book is impeccably edited. I did not find anything to dislike about that book. I would highly recommend it to anyone who likes spy, crime or war stories or is interested in history. If you simply enjoy a very well written book filled with adventures, this one is definitely for you!

The Warramunga's War
View: on Bookshelves

Like Anna Maria 86's review? Post a comment saying so!

briellejee
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 5
2018 Reading Goal: 120
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
2017 Reading Goal: 15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 228
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The World of Ato by Patrick Borosky

Post by briellejee » 03 Feb 2019, 23:38

I liked how you mentioned that by creating Jacko's character with aboriginal roots had made an impact on the world's perspective on people's history and their roles in our society. Also, I liked how you pointed out that the author made you realized that war may be a bad thing but it can bring people closer to us, that difficult circumstances bring forth a good fortune sometimes. Thanks for this enlightening review! :tiphat:
Comment on my reviews and I'll comment on yours too! :wink:

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all who wander are lost"

Anna Maria 86
Currently Reading:

Post by Anna Maria 86 » 04 Feb 2019, 00:10

briellejee wrote: ↑
03 Feb 2019, 23:38
I liked how you mentioned that by creating Jacko's character with aboriginal roots had made an impact on the world's perspective on people's history and their roles in our society. Also, I liked how you pointed out that the author made you realized that war may be a bad thing but it can bring people closer to us, that difficult circumstances bring forth a good fortune sometimes. Thanks for this enlightening review! :tiphat:
Thanks so much for your kind words! I had doubts if it made sense, I'm really glad you liked my review.

briellejee
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 5
2018 Reading Goal: 120
2017 Reading Goal: 15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 228
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The World of Ato by Patrick Borosky

Post by briellejee » 04 Feb 2019, 00:16

Anna Maria 86 wrote: ↑
04 Feb 2019, 00:10
briellejee wrote: ↑
03 Feb 2019, 23:38
Thanks so much for your kind words! I had doubts if it made sense, I'm really glad you liked my review.
Oh it did make sense for me, so good job! Also, that part of your review made me realize I should also look for these little lessons about real-life embedded in the books I read. I am always caught up in the technical part of the book and sometimes fail to see beyond them, eventually failing to see the important message. And for that, thank you! :tiphat:
Comment on my reviews and I'll comment on yours too! :wink:

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all who wander are lost"

Ever_Reading
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 2
2018 Reading Goal: 50
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading: Hunting for silence
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ever-reading.html
Latest Review: Crater's Edge by Lucy Andrews
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ever_Reading » 06 Feb 2019, 01:30

What an amazing review, fair dinkum! Sorry, I just had to :lol2: . I completely agree with all the points you make. This book is definitely an authentic page-turner. Thanks for the detailed review. Keep up the good work, mate!
“Here’s to books, the cheapest vacation you can buy.”
— Charlaine Harris :techie-studyingbrown:

Anna Maria 86
Currently Reading:

Post by Anna Maria 86 » 06 Feb 2019, 08:35

Ever_Reading wrote: ↑
06 Feb 2019, 01:30
What an amazing review, fair dinkum! Sorry, I just had to :lol2: . I completely agree with all the points you make. This book is definitely an authentic page-turner. Thanks for the detailed review. Keep up the good work, mate!
I know, it's hard to resist :wink2: Thank you for leaving a comment, and a nice one at that :wink: It really is an awesome book. Thanks, mate!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”