Review by zaidam15 -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
zaidam15
Currently Reading: The Runaway Jury
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaidam15.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Review by zaidam15 -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by zaidam15 » 31 Jan 2019, 20:32

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Warramunga’s war by Greg Kater is a very interesting and ingenious book. I enjoyed every part of it and will give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. There are many books set on the World War Two but this one is quite different, it has an interesting approach. The book is about two Australian soldiers: James Munro and Jack O’Brien who after engaging in battle in the front end up in Egypt working as a sort of spies for the Allies.

Egypt is swarming with people from all over the world: British soldiers, German agents and soldiers, British civilians stuck in Egypt because of the war, French civilians, Americans, Australians, Russians and others. They all merge in a complicated situation, waiting for some major developments in the war. Even though there is an apparent idleness and a leisure attitude in the soldiers the truth is there is a whole network of spies from both sides that with the help of the locals make a whole intelligence war on their own. The forthcoming of the Middle East war is on their hands. Is up to Jamie and Jacko with the rest of the team to help things turn favorable for the Allies. But the story does not end there, after the missions in Egypt Jamie and Jacko find themselves in their homeland pursuing some war enemies in what I would call a good fast paced and full of action chase.

This novel has it all, action, intrigue, espionage, plot twists and even a good dose of romance and humor. The story has a good amount of suspense too. There are some moments in the plot where there seems that nothing important is happening but the truth is that they keep the reader in suspense because they convey expectation and the feeling that something big is about to happen without any clue about what it will be. Moments like that are scattered through the narrative and keep the reader wanting to know more.

The merging of cultures is brilliant and the way Greg Kater conveys a variety of accents without losing meaning and making the reader almost here the characters speaking is quite good. There is only one character whose dialect is so complicated that it was hard to follow and is in the action set in Australia, but I found it marvelous anyway. Another good thing is the use of dates in the narrative, they make the story clearer. The novel was also very well edited.

There is a point or two that I found against the narrative. I thought there were too many characters and there is something dangerous about that, the reader may get confused at certain point. I found it curious that new characters kept appearing way ahead in the narrative. In that same line the use of too many characters makes it harder to get to know the important ones more deeply. I must say that apart from that I did not found anything negative and since the characters were well used, I decided to give it a perfect score.

The Warramunga's War
View: on Bookshelves

Like zaidam15's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”